imac keeps going through root shutdown -h now @ login

Reaction score
Not much of a Mac expert, but i have a 27' iMac , dual-quad core with 8gb ram. It boots into safe mode okay but at startup in the console viewer I get sudo root /PWD: shutdown -h now and then on the next line a random service. first it was location.d which i found and disabled , and then rebooted and then it was usb.d and another reboot it was something else. I ran a virus scan, and applejack and nothing worked. When I boot in safe mode I can login, I removed all startup items from /Library area and the only login item i had running was an iTunes helper which i removed too for good measure.

Basically , I can boot it, the system flips to a blue screen for a min, then back to grey and loads up a little more, then i get the login, if i wait about 1 minute the system will just turn off. , so doesn't seem to be a user login issue.

Any ideas appreciated. i was debating just renaming the shutdown command as a test to see what happens. there is no time machine , and the mac doesn't have anything special, it has office 2011 , parallels 6 , logmein , and cord (a remote desktop app). i removed log me in and parallels as a test already.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a hardware problem if it's shutting down both in Safe mode and from a normal startup. Run the Apple Hardware Test if the machine will stay on long enough.

Possible problems which can cause a shutdown: Power supply, memory, overheating.

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry if I wasnt clear, booting in safe mode, the machine has been on for 2 days without incident. None of the computers here have the Diag , and I havent been able to run it. we have 30 iMacs and a Mac Pro all Lion 10.7.3 . After testing diag mode on a few of them , only the macbooks go into diag mode. The whole diag mode is a whole different issue, where as we have a hardware problem on the server and cant get apple support. My client is about ready to throw their whole server out and go back to Windows (this is a whole different topic for another day heh)

Thank you for responding. I have also looked at several different ways to run the diag test and never could get it working.

On this iMac I did the following

Remove startup items on all accounts
Remove startup items from the /Library (called system startup items?)
Ran Disk Utility (First Aid and Permissions repair)
Ran applejack from single user mode (both quick and long auto fix)
Installed iAntivirus and ran a full/deep scan.

All Im trying to figure out is if the machine hardware is failing or software (which i believe) . if its software than what is it. What is so horrible that the computer is creating its own shutdown command via sudo root, yet wont output the issue into the console

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.