Problems installing OS X on a new SSD

Reaction score
TL ; DR: I cannot install OS X on my brand new internal SSD. I can install and boot when it is in an external enclosure (through USB), but then when I put it back inside the Macbook Pro it does not boot.

More details:

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro. A few days ago my hard drive died, so I bought a new one (an OCZ Agility 3 SSD) and inserted it. I formatted it with Disk Utility when booted from the Mac OS 10.6 installation disc (Mac OS Extended Journaled with GUID partition). I started the installation but it fails with the error:

Mar 25 14:10:47 localhost OSInstaller[139]: Performing volume consistency check on 'SSD'.
Mar 25 14:11:00 localhost OSInstaller[139]: Checking Volume
Mar 25 14:11:00 localhost OSInstaller[139]: Verify/Repair failed with error -10000 (Could not unmount disk)

I then removed the SSD and put it in an external hard drive enclosure (SATA-to-USB). Still from the Mac OS 10.6 DVD, I formatted the drive and started the install and everything went fine. I can also boot into my new system. But when I move the SSD from the external enclosure to the internal bay, the disk is not seen anymore and so the Macbook Pro does not boot.

I have a time machine image of my old system on another external hard drive from which I can boot and from where I could re-download the OS X Lion installer. I tried installing Lion on the internal SSD but the installer could not see it. I then put it in an external enclosure and did the same thing as in the previous paragraph, with the same results (i.e. works in external enclosure, does not when inside the laptop).

I really do not know what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like either the internal hard drive SATA connector is bad or the SATA cable to the logic board is defective. Are you sure you're inserting the SSD correctly to match the internal SATA connector? Use a flashlight and look inside to see if the connector may be misaligned or bent. There's really no way to check the SATA cable other than to replace it.

OP
L
Reaction score
You were right, the SATA cable was defective! I did not think it could be the case since I could still see the disk from Disk Utility. I replaced it at the Apple Store today and everything is working great up till now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's great, glad you resolved it. The SATA cable undergoes a lot of heat because of where it's located. Consequently, the cable dries out and develops minute cracks which are almost impossible to see without a magnifying glass.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.