MBP Bad Logic Board?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, im new to this forum and Mac overall. Great community here!

Sorry to make my first actual post a "need help" post, but i need help :)

I have a 15" MBP that had OS 10.6 on it. I turned it on and i got the OS missing pic (folder with ?). I have both a 10.5 Disk and 10.6 on a bootable flash, and both work fine on another machine. If I use either in the MBP im having problems with, it freezes and goes no further. I pulled the HDD out to see if that was causing the issues, and the same results as with it in occur. Put another known working drive in, same thing. I reset the PRAM successfully and still no success. Am I looking at a bad logic board?

thanks for reading and any help you can provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Possibly. Do you have the original restore disks for the machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No, I'm talking about the gray restore disks that come with the computer. They have a hardware test on them that you could run.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice. I borrowed a disc from another MBP. But I have the 15" version and the one I borrowed was fromn a 13: of the same era. Ran extended test and it passed. But, i put in the retail version of the 10.5, locked up again. Tried the USB Version of 10.6, locked up. Even tried the 13" version of the OS, it started, but said I cannot install on that machine.

So it is possible that the hardware test is wrong, but more likely that I need the original disc for this machine im assuming. Though im not sure why the retail version would lock me up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.