Swapping AT&T Sim Cards on iPhones

Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have a 3GS with OS 5.1 and FW 5.16.05. I am heading to the UK for three months and my hopes of unlocking my iPhone have been dashed once I realized it was running 5.16.05.

However, my Mom has an old 3G that she rarely updates so I'm sure the OS and FW are unlockable. I am thinking of just swapping phones with her, so she can use my 3GS and I'll take her 3G and unlock it for my travels.

Was wondering though how easy is the process of swapping our SIM cards? I know we would both need to back up contacts / pictures so that we could then put them on our "new" phones. But will the service just seamlessly change over otherwise. The 3GS will now have her number and the 3G mine? Or would I need to have an AT&T store do this?

Thank You
-- Sip

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's easy enough to swap the SIM cards but all that's going to do is change the number from your phone to hers. Contacts, apps, etc. are not going to change.

Probably a good idea to back everything up on both phones before messing with them. I'm not sure but I believe you can purchase a SIM card for use in the UK for the three months. I don't know if the phone would have to be unlocked - perhaps one of our UK members can answer that for you. So stay tuned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.