Sorting Photos after Extracting from iPad Thumbs Folder

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Have about 1000 (out of 3000) photos from recent holidays in my iPad that I want to retrieve off my iPad 2 (that I deleted from my Mac)

Thing is, when I plug my iPad into my Mac, iPhoto only shows 209 pictures. But my picture gallery (on my iPad) shows that there are actually 3000 photos in my iPad.

When I looked at the root directory, I can see that in the DCIM folder, there are only 209 pictures there. Digging deeper, the other 2791 are located in /private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/Thumbs in 50 different folders labeled: F00, F01, etc.

Problem is, they are all jumbled up, and renamed to files like DGJS.jpg, GLSK.jpg. I only need about 1000 out of the 3000 inside, and they seem to be randomly sorted across the 50 F folders.

Is there any method I can use to easily extract the photos I want? On my iPad they are nicely sorted by location tags, etc. Is there anyway I can just grab them without having to sort through one by one?

The reason this happened was probably because I rarely sync my iPad, and few months ago, on my Mac I had started a whole new iPhoto library, so perhaps during one of my syncs the older photos in my iPad were moved to the /private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/Thumbs directory?

In any case would really appreciate the help! I need to retrieve these photos as I lost a huge chunk of travel photos a few months ago, and these 1000 in my iPad are my last copy of them!

Thanks so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.