How To Work Time Machine ???

Reaction score
Hi

I'm needing to back up data in my Mac 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5 but not sure how to operate Time Machine? It confirms i need to add a time capsule etc.

Apart from an external HD how else can i back up data in my Mac? is it possible to create a 2nd partition?

Sorry new to OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Hi

I'm needing to back up data in my Mac 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5 but not sure how to operate Time Machine? It confirms i need to add a time capsule etc.

Apart from an external HD how else can i back up data in my Mac? is it possible to create a 2nd partition?

Sorry new to OS X.

Yes it is possible to create a second partition , but if you're HD goes AWOL than still every think is gone .
Using a external HD is far more safe .
You can make a backup on a external drive using the Time Machine or the Carbon Cloner .
It is always wise to check you're backup .
Still some people says One backup is not save enough .
It depends on how important is you're data

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
You can make a backup on an external drive using the Time Machine or the Carbon Cloner

So Time Machine is not used for internal back-ups of DATA? rather it's used to back-up external drives? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
So Time Machine is not used for internal back-ups of DATA? rather it's used to back-up external drives? :\

No that is not what I am trying to say .
But making a backup on the same HD as where you're data is ,is more or less for no use .
Because if the HD is failing still every thing is gone even if it is on a other partition .
If you have more than 1 HD internal than you can use the Time Machine or the carbon cloner or any other backup utility to make a backup .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also take a look at this current MacWorld Article which explains some things about Time Machine very clearly.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Excellent clearly understand, thanks everyone for all your helpful information.

Great forum. :Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.