• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

83 Year old woman alleges: Apple's windows too clean!

Reaction score
83-Year Old Suing Apple After Walking into Glass Doors at Retail Store - Mac Rumors

83-year old Evelyn Paswall is suing Apple after walking into the glass doors at the Apple Store Manhassett on Long Island reports CBS New York. She is asking for $75,000 in medical expenses plus punitive damages for negligence totaling $1 million.

I feel for the woman; I really do. But seriously, a MILLION DOLLARS for a broken nose? I can't seem to find anyway to conjure up a conclusion that this is anything more than greed gone amuck!
mathews_doh.gif

Reaction score
Well she isn't going to get all $1million after this is over. I always walk very carefully through Apple stores, that double glass setup with the gray cables in between create a funny illusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just wonder, how exactly would an 83 year old be moving so fast that she somehow runs her face into the door? Her foot would obviously need to hit the door first, and because her body would want to remain in motion, her face would then hit the door...which means she must of been moving pretty fast, unless she stopped right in front of the window/door and purposely banged her head on it. Don't believe me? Try running into a wall with your head first...it can only be done if you're moving fast enough to where your head is positioned forward of your torso, in mid-stride, otherwise, you will run into it with your feet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Really.

What was an 83-year-old doing in an Apple Store to begin with? Sounds like someone is looking to subsidize their social security check.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Really.

What was an 83-year-old doing in an Apple Store to begin with?

Hehe - I was wondering the same... I'd think she'd be at a greater risk of being trampled by the crowd in the stores rather than having a glass window suddenly smack her in the face. I wonder if the defense attorneys will point out the 200 million or so people before her that managed to navigate that door way with out injury. :Confused:

Reaction score
People walk into glass doors all the time, that's why most people put strips across the middle of glass doors. That amount of money is ridiculous though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Can you just make up an amount that you can sue for in the US?

In the UK Kemp & Kemp is the authority for valuing general damages in a personal injury claim. A more basic overview can be determined from the JSB guidelines. From what I can see the award ranges from £1000.00 to £15,000.00 in the UK.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never knew a window could be TOO CLEAN! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Can you just make up an amount that you can sue for in the US?

In the UK Kemp & Kemp is the authority for valuing general damages in a personal injury claim. A more basic overview can be determined from the JSB guidelines. From what I can see the award ranges from £1000.00 to £15,000.00 in the UK.

It depends upon what you are suing to recover. If you are suing over a defective $500 TV, you can't really ask for $500,000 to replace it. For intangibles, like pain and suffering or mental distress, you can pretty much ask for whatever you like (in theory). A generally accepted rule of thumb is often 3 to 5 times the cost of lost wages and medical treatment, but that isn't a law and you may ask for more if you choose. The Court can choose to award less, but rarely can it award more than you file for. Of course, the more outrageous and disproportionate the amount you attempt to recover, the less likely you are to be taken seriously. That is why some people find it newsworthy when someone is awarded millions of dollars in a case such as spilling hot coffee on themselves - it's not the norm nor should it be. Anyhow, I'm glad we chose to retain the freedom to personally structure our own grievances instead of ceding that control over to some governmental agency or other authority. I don't believe it is the government's place to tell me what I'm allowed to ask for when they are already allowed discretion in moderating how much I collect, when I collect and in what manner I am allowed to pursue collection.

Reaction score
I always thought that the doors remain open during business hours at Apple Stores? I know the Apple Store here always has them open (unless it's really shoddy weather)...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Blasted Windows, always causing trouble for Apple! ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.