Missing volume icon

Reaction score
Using Lion 10.7.3. having problems with Audio Vol control missing from Menu Bar and in System Preferences shows "No Input or Output Devices Found"- Volume control slider not working and "Mute" Greyed out.
Similarly with iChat & FaceTime - "No Camera connected". This has been happening irregularly for past few weeks. Then when, after a time, Log in Volume control and camera recognised and Icon appears in Menu Bar. Any ideas what can be done to fix this???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1067 MHz
you could try opening up disk utility and then running a repair disk permissions on the hard drive and see if that brings back the volume icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
System User Interface preferences control the Menu Bar. In OS 10.5, I think the file is called com.apple.systemuiserver.plist. I'm not sure if that's still the case in Lion. Plus, it's harder to get to your User/Library folder where Preferences are kept. Someone who is familiar with Lion should be able to help further.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.