I need upgrading! Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2007 model mac Pro with these specs:

2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Processor
6GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM Memory

I work with a lot of AVCHD video footage and graphics, there is a lot of rendering involved and my computer can no longer handle such things without an inordinate amount of slowdown and waiting!

So! Do I upgrade my current machine or get a new Mac pro? Or an iMac? Refurbished or new? Quad core or eight? Forgive my basic Mac knowledge I would be hugely grateful for any insights or advice.

Thank you all.

(Also I wish to use FCP7 and Motion 4, I understand there are some problems using Final Cut Studio 2 with Lion, is this true?)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So! Do I upgrade my current machine or get a new Mac pro? Or an iMac? Refurbished or new? Quad core or eight? Forgive my basic Mac knowledge I would be hugely grateful for any insights or advice.

Your best option is to get a new computer...since there are no official cpu upgrade paths for your Mac Pro model. As far as which computer to get...that's entirely up to you and your budget...since almost any new iMac or Mac Pro will be better/faster than what you currently have.:)

And if it makes it any easier...if you need more than 4 cores...then you have to get a Mac Pro.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Ah yes this whole quad core, 8 core thing. Looking on Apple, an 8 core is an extra £800. £2000 would be a sensible amount for me to spend total, but I can possibly go an extra £800 if the difference is worth it.

Have any idea on what the difference is? If a quad core takes 2 minutes to render a video sequence how long will it take an 8 core? 10 seconds or 1 minute 50? If the jump is big enough then maybe it is worth the extra cash.

Also are iMacs upgradable the same way Mac Pro's are? A little future proofing would be nice.

Thanks very much for the responses.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also are iMacs upgradable the same way Mac Pro's are?

Absolutely not! For the most part...iMac's are BIG heavy laptops with large display's.

As far as the upgrading post. I mentioned that there are no "official" upgrades for your Mac Pro. The processors can be upgraded...but this NOT an official upgrade path (dive in at your own risk)...and is usually NOT a project for 99% of computer owners!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.