Where to retire an old imac circa 2001 G3 graphite colour, any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone could help with this? I've held on to my old imac G3 (from around 2000/2001) which is the graphite grey colour since I moved on to mac pastures new in 2005. I'm sure it still works fine although it's been a while since I checked.

I don't feel right about taking it to the skip (possibly the emotional worth attached rather than anything else!) but I would like to shift it. I know that it's probably not much use to anyone in a working sense but it's such a great design, there must be someone who collects these things. I'm near London/Kent, UK. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Contact your local church group and ascertain if there are any needy children locally who would appreciate a free computer, even if an older model.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks harryb2448! I hadn't thought about local groups. It's funny because I'd investigated the charity idea/recycling organisations before and found that they wouldn't come to collect just the one computer. I'll try and contact smaller groups directly i think. Thanks again for your reply.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Put it on e-Bay. I'm sure someone will purchase it if priced correctly.

- Nick

C

chas_m

If donating to a local group, make sure the machine has only "contemporaneous" software (ie compatible and legal) on it. Loads of free or now-unsupported but working software out there, might be best to either let them tailor such an old machine to a specific purpose (like dedicated word processor) or otherwise warn them that as an internet machine its time has passed.

I donated some a few years ago to a local blindness council, they used them for the "text to speech" function and internet radio so that people could come and listen to various audible programs. I actually owned a Graphite model, got a White one after that ...

Reaction score
Imac circa 2001

I know I'm really late, but have you already disposed of your Imac?
Cheers,
-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fifteen months would imagine so lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.