Macbook Air causing slow internet on other devices???

Reaction score
I got a MBA in December 2011 and everything was going great until the last 2-4 weeks. Lately, it takes it forever to load anything and has slowed down dramatically. The weirdest part is that my husband's iPad will be running perfectly fine and as soon as I connect to the internet with the MBA, his iPad immediately slows down. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or what, but he is now accusing me of being an internet hog! lol If anyone can help me or give me some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. So far, I have deleted our home wi-fi network and added it back on, checked for the most recent software updates, and verified that the speed of the internet is in line with what CenturyLink provides (we get our internet through our phone company and have a Linksys access point for wi-fi).

Reaction score
The only way that my iphone used to interfere with my Macbook's internet was through IP conflicts, don't know if that could have anything to do with your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
Is your internet access slow when ONLY you are connected? If it is only slow when both of you are connected it is a wireless network or provider problem.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, he says his iPad runs just fine and only slows down when I open the internet on my device, but the MBA is slow no matter what. These are our first Apple products (besides the iPhone) so I'm not sure where to even start and don't understand a lot of the terminology I see online (i.e. what the heck is the airport?). I also remembered last night that a few weeks ago our Linksys Access Point stopped working and I had to reset it and reenter the password for the AP on all of our devices. I couldn't do anything else with it, because it's like 7 years old and we no longer have the customer service on it. So, not sure if that could be causing a problem - was trying to avoid buying a new one if I didn't need to - being cheap, basically.

Reaction score
Hi Krystal,

I'm experiencing the same problem. I have a Macbook Air running on OS X Lion, and recently I have not been able to use WiFi at all--for example, it takes minutes to load a webpage in my browser. And whenever I am connected to the Wifi and try to use the Internet (Safari, App Store, Update, etc.), all the other Wifi connections get bogged down.

I've tried about 15 different things, and the problem persists. I'm thinking about taking it in to the retailer to have someone take a look.

Mike

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah if you figure anything out when you go in please post ! My husband bought mine through Best Buy and bought their warranty rather than Apple Care so I can't take mine into the store for help with anything but hardware issues :(. I'm gonna try taking it into Geek Squad so maybe they will have a helpful suggestion. I have noticed it UBS fine on Bluetooth with the personal hotspot on my phone. The slow load time etc may be because of my network because it's not as slow when I connect at work. But no matter where I'm at it takes forever to even find a network and connecting is even worse. And it drops the connection sporadically. I've also noticed mine will always disconnect from any network if the device goes into sleep mode which is weird. I'm getting really frustrated because I asked or a piece of equipment that cost more than twice what a pc costs based on the reputation of how well Apple products run and now it won't do one of the most basic tasks.

Reaction score
Hi Krystal,

I found a solution to my problem. It may not work for you because it appears that this problem is very common and has a number of causes.

First, I tried all of the suggested fixes here:

Internet Slow After Upgrading to Lion? - Switching To Mac

None of them worked, so I tried out this solution, which did work for me:

Randomized Thoughts: Wireless problems with Macbook Air and Mac OS X Lion

Apparently, the problem is that the latest drivers for Atheros- and Broadcom-based WiFi chipsets do not play well with some versions of Lion (and Snow Leopard). So the solution is to downgrade the driver to an earlier version.

I hope that helps. :)

Mike

Reaction score
Hi Krystal,

I found a solution to my problem. It may not work for you because it appears that this problem is very common and has a number of causes. The solution that worked for me was to downgrade a driver on my laptop. Apparently, the latest drivers for Atheros- and Broadcom-based WiFi chipsets do not play well with some versions of Lion (and Snow Leopard). Unfortunately, the moderator will not let me post a link to the blog post that helped me. You will have to Google with the following terms and read up for yourself: macbook air wifi atheros downgrade chipset drivers.

I hope that helps.

Mike

OP
K
Reaction score
Mike -

Thanks so much for the tip - I am going to try it out tonight and see if it helps any :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.