Display Problem

Reaction score
hi guys first post :)

Macbook%20Unibody%20Disassembled2.jpg

accidently touched the gold thing (like a mini stick shape) at the top right hand of the picture and my display died. do i have to replace the whole thing? apple told me it cost like 720 bucks to replace it. was cleaning the inside of my macbook while it happened. haha. running on external display right now :)

thanks in advance! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
accidently touched the gold thing (like a mini stick shape) at the top right hand of the picture and my display died. do i have to replace the whole thing? apple told me it cost like 720 bucks to replace it. was cleaning the inside of my macbook while it happened. haha. running on external display right now :)

If Apple is quoting you $720 bucks...they're probably indicating you need a new logic board. And if this is the case...there's really not anything that can be repaired...since everything is VERY small & soldered to the logic board...nothing a DIYer can really repair.

Always remember. Before opening up a laptop:

- unplug from wall power
- remove the battery
- discharge any static from your body

Maybe the part that was touched was delicate & got broken...or a static discharge occurred damaging something.

Sorry to hear about the issue,

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
so basically i had a display problem... http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/270640-display-problem.html#post1388090

i brought it to apple and since i had no apple care they made me pay 80 odd dollars to send it in for a checkup on what was wrong with my display.

assuming they freaking tested the unit before getting back to me, which i doubt they did, they quoted me $720 for a "display assembly"

it was above my budget to repair it so i decided to continue to use an external display to run my macbook. (my internal display was not detected at all)

so i used my macbook for another week or so and im very irritated by the fact that i cannot bring my laptop out of my house. i decide to open up my macbook and poke around

guess what. the freaking display connection cable was just loose and all i did was nudge it back in a little.

THEY FREAKING QUOTED ME $720. WITHOUT EVEN CHECKING IF THERE WAS A REAL PROBLEM? (sorry for caps)

anyways is there anything i can do to get back at them. sry if this is irrelevant and mods if you find this post unnecessary or in the wrong place pls go ahead and do whatever you deem fit.

sorry im just very very agitated by the fact they wanted to charge me $720 for plugging a cable back in. seriously? &(#^$&(#%

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start a new thread. I merged your post to the original. Thanks...

I guess I would have been a bit disturbed also. I would take the entire unit back to the Apple store that gave you the $720 estimate and show them what the problem was. Speak with the store manager, but be polite and don't lose your temper. I would also ask for a refund of the $80.00 you paid.

Let us know how it turns out.

OP
V
Reaction score
yeah sorry was abit angry so i just created a new thread. sorry about that and thanks for merging.

im going overseas for my holiday tmr so i'll be back only end of april. yes i'll wil bring it back and be nice and polite. hoping to get some answer for this. :)

thanks once again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.