What's happened to the price of external drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
As a short term workaround following the internal hard disk going belly-up in my iMac, I'm considering using an external drive as my main drive. Last October I purchased an Iomega eGo 2Tb for £108. That's no longer available and the 1Tb model is £156. That's one **** of jump in price. Is there any particular reason? I see they do a portable version for just £11 more that takes its power from the Firewire cable - is likely to be up to the job as my mains powered 2Tb model?
I seem to remember that the eGo was a recently introduced model when I bought it and while performance and specs are of the highest priority it would have been good to get a matching drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere was a major flood in Thailand, where a load of hard disk plants are located. This has effected the world price of hard drives, I should know, even the hard disks in DVR recorders in Bosch security recording devices have been effected.

But expect prices to settle doen soon, as production comes back to normal and prices no longer reflect the market panic over the Thailand crisis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
THere was a major flood in Thailand, where a load of hard disk plants are located. This has effected the world price of hard drives, I should know, even the hard disks in DVR recorders in Bosch security recording devices have been effected.

But expect prices to settle doen soon, as production comes back to normal and prices no longer reflect the market panic over the Thailand crisis.

He is spot on. I work for the US Govt and we ordered some HDs and were told the Thailand flood has brought production to a slow crawl.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
He is spot on. I work for the US Govt and we ordered some HDs and were told the Thailand flood has brought production to a slow crawl.

it ain't just the govt ;)

But yep... this is what happens when your suppliers facilities flood. It'll come down, eventually... RAM did after the last catastrophe that drove it's prices through the roof.. If you need that disk now, buy it.. if you don't.. wait. :Cool:

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks for the replies folks. I guess I should have thought of that - I've had a Canon Scanner on order for over 6 weeks now and there are still none in the UK and it looks as if there will be at least another 4 weeks or so before there are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I've been needing a few large hard drives for my media center, but I keep putting it off until they go back to reasonable prices.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I've been needing a few large hard drives for my media center, but I keep putting it off until they go back to reasonable prices.

Same. Although I do have my 2TB Time capsule. Not enough back up for 3 Macs though. >_<"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.