Selling Mac, What happens to apps purchased in Apps Store?

Reaction score
First if I posted in the wrong area I apologize. I did a Goggle search using several different terminologies but I'm having a problem getting an answer. I will post one question at a time.

I am now leaning towards selling my iMac after what I saw on eBay. I won't go into details about that because this is not the sales area. But I need to know a few things. First question: I know the apps purchased in the app store go with my account. Do those apps delete as soon as I unauthorized the machine in iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your best bet for a resale is to set-up a new user account (admin) and give the password to the person you sell the Mac to. Deauthorise your iTunes account, backup any data then login to the new admin account and delete your account completelly.

That way they have a fresh user account with none of your personal settings and files

OP
H
Reaction score
Your best bet for a resale is to set-up a new user account (admin) and give the password to the person you sell the Mac to. Deauthorise your iTunes account, backup any data then login to the new admin account and delete your account completelly.

That way they have a fresh user account with none of your personal settings and files

OK. so that would keep the Lion OS? I also would like to share some of the other apps I purchased that I can't use in my system. For example I bought a TiVo Converter app that changes the TiVo files to .mp4 files. This is good if you have a lap top and HDMI and want to watch recorded TiVo shows without having the hassle of downloading directly from a TiVo.

Now I understand not that many people may want that but someone might. If I unauthorize the iTunes account but leave the music in there (it's all mp3, not protected) would someone be able to have access to my 28 GB of music. Yes, maybe they might now like what I do but you never know there's a lot to chose from.

Or are my assumptions of this being beneficial for the sale unrealistic and just wipe and reinstall Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Is there a reason you want the OS to be Lion? Did you advertise it with that specific attribute? Im just wondering.

Its doable but it's not necessarily your responsibility to give them the most up to date software.

How did you buy Lion? From the Mac App Store after you update Snow Leopard? Or did you but the thumb drive as mentioned above?

As for 'sharing apps' again... I go to my you don't need to keep them up to date statement. It is popular for sellers to give people the incentive of purchasing with software like MS Office, Pages, Final Cut Pro, etc.. In those situations they usually come with an install disc or have a passkey to download the software again. This alleviates any potential buyer of having/using hacked (stolen) software. Not saying your DVR is stolen but if they want that kind of software it's not your responsibility to give it to them.

Im sure its possible to do, but it would be more cumbersome than its worth. I have a feeling if you don't advertise the list of software you wanted to leave them behind the price won't be affected as much.

As for your purchases in iTunes and the Mac App Store (if any); they wouldn't have access to them unless you gave them your apple ID (don't do that haha).
If you go to iTunes and log in to your profile there is a way somewhere to de-auth your computer to DL your previous purchases. Even if you didn't do the de-auth, any time you DL previously purchased you are prompted to enter the Apple ID password.

You could always remove any payment info (CCs and paypal) from your current Apple ID and change password if you really concerned about selling your iMac.

All of this is moot if you so a fresh instal of SL. THere are post in the forum about prepping mac for sale.

GL

OP
H
Reaction score
Is there a reason you want the OS to be Lion? Did you advertise it with that specific attribute? Im just wondering.

Its doable but it's not necessarily your responsibility to give them the most up to date software.

How did you buy Lion? From the Mac App Store after you update Snow Leopard? Or did you but the thumb drive as mentioned above?

As for 'sharing apps' again... I go to my you don't need to keep them up to date statement. It is popular for sellers to give people the incentive of purchasing with software like MS Office, Pages, Final Cut Pro, etc.. In those situations they usually come with an install disc or have a passkey to download the software again. This alleviates any potential buyer of having/using hacked (stolen) software. Not saying your DVR is stolen but if they want that kind of software it's not your responsibility to give it to them.

Im sure its possible to do, but it would be more cumbersome than its worth. I have a feeling if you don't advertise the list of software you wanted to leave them behind the price won't be affected as much.

As for your purchases in iTunes and the Mac App Store (if any); they wouldn't have access to them unless you gave them your apple ID (don't do that haha).
If you go to iTunes and log in to your profile there is a way somewhere to de-auth your computer to DL your previous purchases. Even if you didn't do the de-auth, any time you DL previously purchased you are prompted to enter the Apple ID password.

You could always remove any payment info (CCs and paypal) from your current Apple ID and change password if you really concerned about selling your iMac.

All of this is moot if you so a fresh instal of SL. THere are post in the forum about prepping mac for sale.

GL

I purchased Lion from the App store. I haven't advertised anything yet, I'm just trying to get a feel. My original idea was to keep my Mac and the PC but seeing that there is some value in a used iMac, more then I expected, I'm thinking about selling. It would pay a third of my new PC off.
Most of what I have read is to clean it and put the original OS. And I didn't think the apps would carry over, no more then they would if it was an iPad, but thought I would ask.

One thing I would like to leave would be VMware. I would like to simply uninstall Vista and hand over the Vista disk along with the computer. But this VM ware is designed specifically for Lion. It probably would work with weather.

All my music is in Amazons cloud so leaving it on the hard drive wouldn't bother me, just removing this machine as a device to access tunes would be all I need.

Yes I'm googling and looking around here as well. I just can't get a feel if going through the trouble of manually cleaning up is 1. Going to add value and 2. Really what a buyer wants.

Thanks for your input it is greatly appreciated.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thinking this thing through further if Lion got another update you would need the password to upgrade. And that wouldn't happen.

So a this point it looks like I load the original OS/ I can offer to install the latest version of VMware but just like Lion if an upgrade came out they would not be able to access it. So, I think the best way to do is after I move the data I want to move over to my new PC, do a wipe, install the original Leopard OS and offer my Windows Vista Disk just in case they want to install VMware, Parallels, or just use Boot Camp. Unless they happen to own a TiVo leaving Toast in there wouldn't help.

Probably in a week I'll put it up on eBay and see what happens. I think I'll ask for $500.00 minimum bid and see how it goes. Sold as is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you delete your user account, all applications will remain, as long as they are in /Applications, not Your Account/Applications

OP
H
Reaction score
One other thing I forgot to mention. I do have a magic mouse that will go with it. Does anyone feel that adds value or should I just use the mouse that came with it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
whats the mouse that came with it? i'lll just assume its a wired mouse that shipped with the iMac.
I did like my Magic Mouse that came with my iMac. I had plenty of time with the USB standard with winDoze through college and work.

It would add value in some people eyes sure. If you don't need both mouses include both. If the buyer has to do change where the computer boots from they will need a wired mouse for that task.

I personally love the Magic Trackpad.. but thats neither here nor there.

OP
H
Reaction score
whats the mouse that came with it? i'lll just assume its a wired mouse that shipped with the iMac.
I did like my Magic Mouse that came with my iMac. I had plenty of time with the USB standard with winDoze through college and work.

It would add value in some people eyes sure. If you don't need both mouses include both. If the buyer has to do change where the computer boots from they will need a wired mouse for that task.

I personally love the Magic Trackpad.. but thats neither here nor there.
No itnlcame with a USB cord mouse and when I got it I was a bit disappointed with th limited USB ports. I got a extender then of course but I'm hanging on to that. I will offer both. I literally have mice everywhere anyway.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.