Microsoft Keyboards on iMacs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"
So I have an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and I really don't like the Apple Keyboards - Sure They Look Great but the key design is just not working for me - way weird! I've given the Apple Keyboards 10months of use now and yep they still annoy me! I want to go back to my Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000. It's only 18months old and I loved using it back then - miss it actually.

Should I get MS Driver Downloads b4 plug & play and IF SO what do I search for in Microsoft?

Where do I find out what the alternative keys are for the Apple To Microsoft Key Commands? Website Links? What should I search for in Google?

Actually, CAN I HAVE BOTH keyboards plugged in for use - so use the MS Keyboard to primarily type with but use the Command, Option, F3 & F4 for dashboard etc from my Apple Keyboard for those Apple Functions?

Many thanks :Confused:

C

chas_m

Microsoft also makes a highly-regarded line of Mac-specific keyboards, so there's a good chance you can have the best of both worlds in one unit.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"
Software Download & MS Mac Keyboards!

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for your help! You guys ROCK! :Cool:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like others have said, you can use that Microsoft keyboard with no issues. I have many friends with Macs and they prefer the Microsoft keyboard for their hands.

Your other question was can you have them both connected at the same time? Yes. I have a couple of Macs with Logitech and Apple keyboards both plugged in. Works fine.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"
Plug & Play!

So relieved to hear this! Plugging in now ...
Thanks so much Dennis! :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 attached to my Mac

I have a MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 5000 attached to my Mac. Just updated my Mac OS to Mountain Lion=10.8.2. Now the keyboard will not accept the Mac keyboard shortcuts it did when I was using Snow Leopard. I downloaded the MS illelitype drivers Mac update, but the problem persists. What did I do wrong? Any suggestions and/or work around?

PS: I love this keyboard and mouse combo. Please, please, HELP!:'(

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried going to System Preferences, Keyboard, click on Keyboard Shortcuts, and check to see if your shortcuts are the same? You can make adjustments from there. I'm not familiar with the MS Keyboard you're using, but if it sets up a preference pane in System Preferences, you may have to go there to make changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon
Thanks for your quick response. I tried your solution, but problem persists. I tried the "keyboard" ID (press key to the right of the Left "shift" key). That worked for me with Snow Leopard, but not ML. I wonder if this behavior is rooted in the addition of Launch Pad. Something has changed in ML: When I downloaded the MS update for their keyboard, the Apple ML popup said it couldn't be opened because it was not available from the Apple App Store. I did the "control"+ click on the MS icon, so I was able to open the app. Whether it installed or not, I don't know because nothing changed.

(aside here) - I was totally happy with Snow Leopard, but I have an iPad now; I am a writer so I wanted to sync the two OSs on both devices so I could travel with my iPad from place to place and have all my additions and changes on both without using email. Not happening!

Talk about frustrating! I have an old wired Apple keyboard, but I don't like it, I love this MS 5000.

I'm open to any suggestions. And, thanks chscag for your help. This forum is the only info I could find anywhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.