New iPad has problems with Mail attachments

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
I'm trying to mail MS Word files to Mail on my new iPad (3). If I send more than one word file attachment (generated on my MacBook Pro using Office 2011) one or more of the attachments gives an error message of "<doc title> An error occurred while reading the document". I'm trying to open these documents in my newly purchased Pages. But if Mail doesn't receive the attachment, I'm stopped there. Once Mail has the document, then it can be moved into Pages with no problem.

I tried to attach five small word files to a short email message send via my MSN account on the MacBook Pro and only one of them would open correctly. The rest get the error message. If I send the file back to my MacBook Pro, then all five attachments open normally and are just fine on the MacBook Pro. If I send them one at a time to the iPad, then Mail will open them and I can save them in Pages.

I've also noticed that the iPad takes a lot longer to receive the mail sent across my MSN mail system to the iPad (using my local WiFi) than does my iPhone 3G sitting next to the iPad. I find this very strange.

I'm also a little disappointed with Pages. It is quite cumbersome to use and I find the menus difficult to open. Guess I'm expecting too much from it. It does work and I can edit the documents, once I get them into the Pages file system.

I've loved this new iPad, but tonight I'm starting to wonder if it is really debugged yet, Or do I have a bug in mine??

Anyone else having this problem? I don't see anything related to this on this Forum.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 5K, ElCapitan 10.11.3, Airport Extr, 15" MacBook Pro, Mavericks, 10.9.3, iPad 3, iPhone 6S
I posted this five weeks ago and have had no response. Kind of surprising as most Forums have moderators that at least acknowledge questions such as this. I can't believe I'm the only one having this problem. Did I post it in the wrong place?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, you posted in the correct place, however, the 3rd Generation iPad is so new (especially when you posted the first time) that folks probably have not had a chance to respond based on their experience.

I just purchased my 3rd Generation iPad about two weeks ago.

I'm also a little disappointed with Pages. It is quite cumbersome to use and I find the menus difficult to open. Guess I'm expecting too much from it. It does work and I can edit the documents, once I get them into the Pages file system.

I don't find Pages cumbersome to use but admittedly, I have not used it on my iPad, just on my Mac so I can't comment on the iOS version. I'm currently using Office 2011 on the Mac.

I don't use Pages to open Office documents on my iPad. I purchased Quick Office Pro HD instead ($19.95) since it can open, edit, and save Word, Powerpoint, and Excel files. I would have had to purchase Pages, Keynote, and Numbers to do the same thing.

How are you transferring the Word files? I've been using Dropbox (free 2 GB storage) to do the transfers. You'll need a copy both on your Mac and the iPad in order for it to work.

I haven't tried to attach Word or Powerpoint files to eMail as of yet. However, that's part of my work and I'll be deeply involved with doing that in the near future - as soon as I become more familiar with the iPad. I'll try to post back and let you know how it went. I use GMail not MSN but the process should be the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro, 24-inch iMac, iPad 3rd Gen., iPhone 4
I have a 3rd Generation iPad suffering from email attachment problems.
I sometimes have to send emails from my iPad with an attached Word document. Doing so is difficult, because the attachment is NOT saved as part of the saved message to previous recipients. So I have to go all the way back to an email with the attachment which I sent myself from my desktop a long time ago. But when I long-press to copy that attachment to the clipboard, copy isn't an option - only email, twitter, etc.
So then I select email and save the draft. THEN I can copy the attachment from the draft (yes, honestly!) and paste it into the new email and send it.
However, as I said at the start, the attachment is not saved with the sent message, whereas it always is on my MBP machine. Help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.