Plex Media Player ???

Reaction score
Hi

I recently uninstalled Plex media player from my Mac 5.1 OS X Leopard 10.5. the uninstall was successful except there still remains an icon in the toolbar each time i boot the system. To remove it i need to open the icon and select quit plex, the icon disappears but keeps returning upon each reboot.

Why does the icon in the tool bar remain when I've uninstalled the program?

I even ran OnyX Mac Cleaning program by selecting all options in Automation Tab, but still the icon remains.

What must i do to eliminate this from the system? :Angry:

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did the Plex Media Player come with an uninstaller or did you just drag everything to the Trash? If it came with an uninstaller, install the application again and then use the uninstaller and that should get rid of the icon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Plex doesn't come with an uninstaller. The icon in the menubar isn't for Plex player, its for the Plex Media Server. Check your start up items to make sure that it isn't in there. If that doesn't help, you may have to reinstall Plex, and check the settings to make sure that the Media Server isn't set to run constantly. Or use something like AppDelete or AppZapper to delete everything Plex related,

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
I have to admit that wasn't much fun at all. I basically explored the system myself and found it wasn't simply a case of just hitting delete in applications, this app was imbedded everywhere!. First i hit Users > Home > Library, then in Application Support i found Plex and Plex Media Server folders witch i deleted. There were also multiple Plex folders in Caches, Launch Agents and Preferences Pane all of witch i deleted. I then emptied the trash bin re-booted the system and BINGO, no more Plex icon

That was an education on it's own.

What must i do to prevent this happening again if i install a program.

Thanks. :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.