OSX on external HD?

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a video editor, and I do a lot of travel work. I have clients that require me to use PC and others that require OSX. I'm tired of lugging two 17 inch laps with me, and since I've invested a lot more money into my PC (in terms of RAM, processor, etc) I was wondering if it's possible to take my Hard Drive from my MacBook Pro and SATA or USB it and boot from my PC, essentially without starting windows, using the external Mac HD as a primary.

I'm NOT building a hackintosh or illegally downloading any software for this. That's out of the question for me and my clients. but to help me consolidate, is this possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Nope, OS X can only legally boot on a Mac computer. Why don't you bootcamp your MBP instead?

OP
A
Reaction score
bootcamp the MAC as in run my windows on it? Its just a matter of Spec's my Pc is spec'd out, with 16gb ram, huge HDs etc. It would just make it easier that way. So there's no possible way? I mean, it's the original MAC hard drive, just running on basically a new machine...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
OS X can only run on Mac hardware, so no. Your only option, if you want to carry just one laptop is to bootcamp the MacBook and run both OSes on it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well that's lame. And makes my life way too expensive. So is it impossible to build a mac machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well that's lame. And makes my life way too expensive. So is it impossible to build a mac machine?

As Stretch has repeatedly tried to tell you… NO! You cannot boot OS X off a PC. That's how it's always been, that's how it always will be. This shouldn't be coming as a surprise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.