G5 tower with hard drive

Reaction score
I just bought my first Mac, a G5 without a hard drive. It is a dual processor 2.5 powerpc. I need to install a hard drive and the operating system. A friend has a similar model. Can I create a back up disc from his computer and use it to put the OS on mine? Is there anywhere on the web for reference on how to properly install and setup the new HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No that would be piracy which is frowned on big time here. Original system discs are extremely model specific so the chances are it will not install.

Go out and find a full retail version of Leopard, OS X.5 on eBay and such, the latest and final operating system for the G5. Set you back about $80-$100. The G5 uses a SATA hard disc drive, you will need the install discs to format the drive prior to installing an operating system.

Have a read of RazorMacs great post on discs.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...49-what-os-disk-do-i-need-brief-overview.html

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks

I am a little confused with the different things I have heard so far about Mac OS. One says it is free, no license needed, and it is always authorized to is own machine. Another told me you need to license every OS separately. I bought several G5 towers on auction, without HD's. From what I understand now, I will need a multi-license disc or one disc per computer.
Still about as clear as mud, but just means I need to do more studying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
With a G5 your answer may lie with purchasing a Family Pack of Leopard OS X.5 for loading onto multiple machines. They do come up on eBay and such. OS X is not free. Discs always have to be purchased. It is not 'tied' similar to an activated version of Windows. Leopard still brings a premium price being the final OS for PowerPC machines. Do not purchase Snow Leopard in error.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-MAC-B...ultDomain_0&hash=item5892f1cf70#ht_500wt_1413

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.