MacBook Pro or iMac ???

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new in the Mac universe and need and advise about my next Mac.

I am about to start my own company - I need a computer to do "serious" editing in Photoshop ... and later on perhaps some video editing as well. I own a 13" MacBook Pro which will not do the job for me.

Which one should I choose??

MacBook Pro 15" (top specs)
2,5 quad-core i7
8 gb ram
Graphics 1 gb
512 gb ssd hard disk + 27" Thunderbolt Display

or

iMac 27" (top specs)
3,4 quad-core i7
16 gb memory
Graphics 2 gb
2 tb serial ATA + 256 ssd hard disk.

Will I be apple to feel the iMacs more power? - or is the MacBook strong enough for me?

By the way ... Is it worth spending the extra (lot of) money for the SSD hard disk.

Please let me hear your advise - thanks.

Charlito

Reaction score
There's no doubt just on specs alone the iMac trumps the MBP, from what I understand about PS it will use the resources you have.
Unless you have a need to be portable, go the iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Don't waste your money on Apple RAM, but it from an online retailer and D.I.Y.

Money you'd save could go towards the SSD.

Reaction score
You can buy 16gb of ram for the macbook pro for like $250. Just do that, and I don't see there being any problems in needing more power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
i have the mbp + thunderbolt and use both for my business - i LOVE that i can carry my complete office with me when on travel.
i use photoshop and it works perfectly... i have the icore 7 + 8 gb ram

C

chas_m

I agree with TheMacMania -- it comes down to a question of portability. The SSDs are lovely and sooo ridiculously fast BUT soooo expensive still (coming down slowly though).

My dream system would be the MBP one you lay out there, as I need portability still. If it wasn't for that I'd go with the iMac system you mention.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.