Secure empty trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.66 GHz 8 GB
I am trying to secure empty trash but it keeps telling me that i cant because the item 'MacOs' is in use? there is no item in the trash with that name, ideas please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
you didnt by chance trash the os did you? i would verify permissions first. then i would look in the trash bin and see whatever it is that you are trying to trash is not the OS itself. if it is not, and only if it is not, then turn off the computer, restart the computer. the first thing you do before anything else is secure delete. that should help.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fearlessfreap24 said:
you didnt by chance trash the os did you? i would verify permissions first. then i would look in the trash bin and see whatever it is that you are trying to trash is not the OS itself. if it is not, and only if it is not, then turn off the computer, restart the computer. the first thing you do before anything else is secure delete. that should help.

I have been through the trash with a fine toothed comb nothing in there relates to the OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you do the restart thing?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fearlessfreap24 said:
did you do the restart thing?
yes i did i have just emptied the trash on to my desktop and secure deleted everything in small groups and found the offending item its a partially downloaded copy of dreamweaver why would this be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it happens like that sometimes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
johnnymacuser said:
yes i did i have just emptied the trash on to my desktop and secure deleted everything in small groups and found the offending item its a partially downloaded copy of dreamweaver why would this be?
Most likely the file was never "closed" because it never finished downloading properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
It might have done that because you had an item of file locked. go through all files and pull up there info and see if the file is locked. locked files wont delete.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
robbiemullen said:
It might have done that because you had an item of file locked. go through all files and pull up there info and see if the file is locked. locked files wont delete.
I have tried that nothing is locked, the file is 1.1mb and consists of a folder with a plain white doc inside with no file ext?? still puzzled at the moment my computer and myself have to live with it but im interested in trying to find out why.........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.