New iPad battery charging problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Got the new iPad 4 days ago. Aside from the faster battery consumption compared to the iPad 2, it also charges a lot slower. But the latter is understandably due to the bigger battery. What bothers me is that on two separate nights since I got the new iPad, after charging it overnight, the battery power gauge had still not reached 100%. In fact, this morning the battery was only charged 81% after being charged overnight. On the other two mornings though, the iPad was fully charged (100%). The thing is, I keep my iPad theme clock on all night doubling as a night light, but that shouldn't prevent the iPad from fully charging. I still need to observe this though 'cause maybe the connection was loose and it didn't charge or charge properly. I'll also take note of the battery percentage at night and compare that with the following morning's percentage. Hope mine's not a lemon.

Reaction score
Most of the power for the iPad is practically the screen. Even though I understand that the new iPad is revolutionary, Apple should still have admitted that they are not all magical at keeping the things people took for granted with the previous iPads (heat & power usage)

Personally, if you paid $500+ for a product, it should perform as advertised or to your liking, besides, as the battery ages it will only get worse. If you can exchange it or return it, do it, hopefully Apple will take more careful consideration about their products at least in the next generation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Are you using the supplied iPad power adapter?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The thing is, I keep my iPad theme clock on all night doubling as a night light, but that shouldn't prevent the iPad from fully charging.

That's probably the reason it's taking as long as it is to obtain a full charge. Also PC World Magazine reports that even when iOS says the battery is full, it continues to charge for around an hour to get to capacity. The solution is to leave it plugged in for around an hour even after it indicates full charge.

However, if it continues to be a problem, take it back to Apple and have them exchange it for a new unit.

Reaction score
Is switch mine off to charge it and it was charging about 35% every two hours but I went to bed and left it on. In the morning it was 100%. Also I got about 13 hours out of my battery. Most of which surfing the net an going on a few apps but no heavy usage really!

Reaction score
But it sounds like Tompam needs theirs to run 24/7, too bad you can't turn off sections of the screen during idle times, Retina display for a clock at night just sounds funny.

If you really don't want to go through the hassle of returning, try turning off Wi-Fi and other connections before going to bed, close any unneeded apps (double tap home button, hold down on any app until red X's appear) Also, don't know where you put it but keeping it cool might help with access discharge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I'm noticing the same thing. I can't charge my iPad while I'm using it. It just takes too much power to run. I just turned it off and will let it charge overnight. It was on the charger for about 3 hours and was still at 18%. I checked and I did have the brightness turned all the way up.

When I plugged it into a USB port on my iMac it said "not enough power to charge" or something like that.

What I don't understand is that I get long life out of the battery, but plugging it in barely supplies enough juice to run it, so it won't give you any more life that way. The display Wifi and 4g are power hogs. I only use the wifi at this point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm noticing the same thing. I can't charge my iPad while I'm using it. It just takes too much power to run. I just turned it off and will let it charge overnight. It was on the charger for about 3 hours and was still at 18%. I checked and I did have the brightness turned all the way up.

When I plugged it into a USB port on my iMac it said "not enough power to charge" or something like that.

What I don't understand is that I get long life out of the battery, but plugging it in barely supplies enough juice to run it, so it won't give you any more life that way. The display Wifi and 4g are power hogs. I only use the wifi at this point.

Your computer's USB ports only have 0.5 Amps of power, which is standard. The power output of the iPad charger is 2.1 Amps. That is why it says not enough power to charge. It will eventually charge when plugged into your computer, but it will take much longer.

C

chas_m

The USB ports will charge the iPad INCREDIBLY slowly if it's turned off/sleeping and will not charge it at all if the iPad is on.

I can think of no practical reason other than "absolutely no alternative" to ever charge an iPad using USB port power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try turning the screen down at night and close out any apps that are running.personally if I use my iPad all day I still have about 30 percent left. Try turning the iPad off and charging off one night and see how that works for you.

Reaction score
TOMPAM, this seems like a bug to me. I have exactly the same issue. After the new (3rd gen) iPad has been charging overnight it is only at 81%. When I unplu and replug the power cable it starts to charge again and will end charging at 100%

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.