Can a mid-2009 MBP output audio through displayport?

Reaction score
I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro ( MB985LL/A ), and recently purchased the mini displayport to HDMI adapter to hook it up to my television.

I've got the display working, but it seems like the audio only goes through my macbook's speakers.

On system preferences, the built-in speakers are the only output audio option I have...

If it's not possible to output audio through the mini displayport on my macbook, does anyone know what I might need to do so?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro ( MB985LL/A ), and recently purchased the mini displayport to HDMI adapter to hook it up to my television.

I've got the display working, but it seems like the audio only goes through my macbook's speakers.

On system preferences, the built-in speakers are the only output audio option I have...

If it's not possible to output audio through the mini displayport on my macbook, does anyone know what I might need to do so?

Thanks!

get an audio male to male like this one, from your mbp speaker outlet connect to your tv audio in, you will be in business.
2010 mbp works without audio cable, 2009 mbp cannot get the audio from tv.
anyway the cable is good and cheap on ebay.
this
Or you want to wait till end of summer when Mountain lion comes out, buy an apple tv
box connect your mbp via airplay to get the same result, wireless though,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010

Thanks!

get an audio male to male like this one, from your mbp speaker outlet connect to your tv audio in, you will be in business.
2010 mbp works without audio cable, 2009 mbp cannot get the audio from tv.
anyway the cable is good and cheap on ebay.

Or you want to wait till end of summer when Mountain lion comes out, buy an apple tv
box connect your mbp via airplay to get the same result, wireless though,eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Reaction score
Which cable did you use?

SALTLAKE,

what cable did you buy to connect to the tv? I borrowed my friend's cable to connect to HDMI and i didn't work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.