Burning vs Saving to disc

Reaction score
Now sure if this is the right place to post my problem. But here goes. Hope someone might help.

Am new to the Mac. I have a MacBook Pro. I am a PC user, and am having difficulty with the Mac.

I want to be able to save my files and work to a CD-RW disc. I have "burned" several discs with files. I thought I was doing it correctly. They do save it to the discs.

What I wanted to do was to add more to the discs, but everytime I try to add something to a disc that I burned, it says I need to insert a blank disc.

On my PC it's very easy. I just copy and paste whatever file I want and drag it to the disc. I can't seen to do that on the MAC.

Is there any way just to "save" to a disc and add files to it?

Please help!!

OP
S
Reaction score
I am distraught

Wow....I am not MAC savvy...This seems very difficult to do unlike working with a PC. I'll give it a try, but not sure if I can follow the instructions.....Thank you anyway..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 2GB RAM 500GB HD OS X Lion 10.7.3
Wow....I am not MAC savvy...This seems very difficult to do unlike working with a PC. I'll give it a try, but not sure if I can follow the instructions.....Thank you anyway..

Hi Semanon,

I highly recommend that instead of burning the data into a CD, you put it in a good quality memory stick, then when you fill up the memory stick or won't be "adding" more data, you can burn one CD with all the information (if you want to store it in a CD/DVD format).

To add files onto a memory stick leaving a copy on your Mac (What would be like copy and paste on a PC), you drag the files while pressing (and continuing to press) the Alt key.
If you want to remove it from your Mac and put it on your memory stick, simply drag and drop :D

C

chas_m

The PC solution was easy because it only worked with one PC: yours. Stick an unclosed disc on another machine and it may or may not be readable.

That's not a system Apple has opted to go for. The experience should be equally good for everyone, so multisession was deemed not necessary for most people and isn't really supported.

Sounds like what you want is a good thumb drive, which would be WAAAAAAY faster anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with chas. Multi-session is a waste of time IMO. As inexpensive as DVD or CD media are, re-writing to them not only takes time but you also (as chas has stated) run the risk of them not being compatible when used in another machine.

I used to re-write media quite often when in Windows (where it is much easier than on the Mac) but gave up on it and instead use flash drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.