macbook pro motherboard corrosion

Reaction score
ok so im based in ireland and have been having problem with my macbook pro for a few week there would be a loud beeping noise - 3 beeps and then a break and the 3 beeps would repeat. The spinning beach ball appears regularly and last for extended periods of time. could be up to 2 minutes tat times. apple care mentioned this could be an indicator of a possible RAM problem and told be to bring it into one of their certified repair centres so i brought in into Mactivate in dublin. they did testing and couldnt find the problem so decided that they one replace one piece of RAM and give it back to me and if this didnt help they would replace the other.

When they opened up the back they say they found corosion of the motherboard and are saying it is the result of liquid damage. however no liquid has ever been split on or even near the machine. i got the laptop last july and have pretty guarded it with my life since i got it. no1 has ever used it other than me. they said that from what they could see liquid got it from the back where a fan is but like i said nothing has ever been split on or even near it. i rarely even drink near it.
so how is it possible that they say there has been liquid damage when there has never been anything split on it?
Id appreciate any advice on the matter. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Did you buy this computer new or used?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
it was new from the online apple store. it was a 21st birthday present so ive been so careful with it.

Ive attached some picture i was sent

photo(2).JPG

photo.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The liquid indicators or corrosion in the machine obviously show that moisture was present at one time otherwise the technicians would not have said so. How moisture entered the machine is another question especially since you say you never spilled anything on it.

However, we have had folks tell us they had their MBP in the bathroom playing music while they were taking a shower. Or, carrying it from one place to another outside while it was raining. Or even using it in a high humidity area.

Not saying any of the above refer to you, but I think you can understand how corrosion could occur even if nothing was ever spilled on the machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the info.

It's very hard to say what has caused the corrosion. If you say that you're 100% sure that this laptop has never had liquid spilled on it...and you know 100% for sure that this laptop has never left your sight & no one else has ever had access to it.

If this is the case...the only other possibility would be if this laptop has spent a lot of time in an extremely humid environment. Apple's spec. regarding humidity for notebook computers is:

"Relative humidity: 0% to 90% non-condensing"

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
the only place the laptop has ever been were my house in my bed room or living room or when ive had in at college. its never been in the bathroom listening to music while having a shower or even used in the kitchen listening to music while cooking. if ive had it outdoors in the rain it been is a case inside my backback and i would have only been outside for a minute or two running between the car and the door of my college/house. i live in ireland so its not like it's extremely humid here so i dont think that would have been a problem. ive done exactly the same with the macbook as i used to do with my old dell inspiron and i never had a problem with liquid damage with the dell

Where can i go from here i purchased the apple care with it at of cost of over €200 is that now void?
Mactivate want €75 to clean the corrosion, will that fits the problem of the loud beeping noise, screen breaking up to multi coloured squares and the machine freezing. i left the machine in on the understande that it was a RAM problem which is what i was told by apple care, i never expected to be told this

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I would take it to an Apple Store and tell them exactly what you have told us, and see what they say. Something doesn't add up quite right here, in my opinion.

OP
A
Reaction score
I would take it to an Apple Store and tell them exactly what you have told us, and see what they say. Something doesn't add up quite right here, in my opinion.

there is no apple store is ireland and they don't offer a courier to come a pick up product. which is why i got sent to mactivate. i could understand liquid damage if i had split a drink on and id admit that but i haven't like. i really don't know what to do. i have it as a specified item on the household contents insurance. is claiming on that my only option and if so would i have to buy a new apple care plan or could i transfer my old one?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
there is no apple store is ireland and they don't offer a courier to come a pick up product. which is why i got sent to mactivate. i could understand liquid damage if i had split a drink on and id admit that but i haven't like. i really don't know what to do. i have it as a specified item on the household contents insurance. is claiming on that my only option and if so would i have to buy a new apple care plan or could i transfer my old one?

Unless some our UK members can suggest something better, all I can offer is call Apple and present your case to them. They have perhaps the best customer service in the World, and they can give definitive answers on your questions.

OP
A
Reaction score
Unless some our UK members can suggest something better, all I can offer is call Apple and present your case to them. They have perhaps the best customer service in the World, and they can give definitive answers on your questions.
yes i have found apple to be pretty good customer service but i cant really see what more thay can when there is no apple store or courier service within ireland to get it to them directly. it cost me $1700 so it a lot of my down the drain through no fault of my own
is there any other possible cause for corrosion other than liquid damage?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.