My Powerboo G4 has no internal speaker sound

Reaction score
Hi, I bought this computer used and when the guy showed me the computer it worked with some JBL external spkrs, but the internal spkrs would not work. Once I got the laptop home, it would not work with my Sony spkrs, and just gives me faint sound through some Apple headphones.

I can not change any settings in Sound Options unless it detects something connected in the headphone jack, and I can't change volume setting from the menu bar (nothing is muted).

I tried Command-Option-O-F (reset firmware) & Command-Option-P-R (never heard a chime) & neither worked. Can my system really be gone even though I heard sound coming from the external spkrs when I got the laptop?

Any help is greatly appreciated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Are you trying to go direct from the audio port to speakers, or via an amplifier?

From what you describe concerning external working, but internal not, and your message about the red light, I'd also suggest the audio port has a stuck cancel switch (cuts out the internal spkrs when an audio jack is inserted).

How to fix? Various methods, but the toothpick or dummy audio jack repeatedly inserted/removed (volume turned right down) may fix the problem, but you might eventually need to open up the Macbook and to get at the audio port to clean and free the stuck switch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.