so my macbook pro got ripped off.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch MBP 2.5 ghz i7 16 GB Antiglare screen
So my 2011 15inch MBP got ripped off in a home break-in this week. :Angry:

I'm insured, so getting it replaced isn't a problem. But my question is whether or not I should just go right down to the apple store and buy the current Macbook Pro or wait until the new models are introduced next month. There have been a number of threads in other forums speculating about what the new MBP 15 inch is going to be, with much discussion that the new 2012 model might well be a thinner, less user upgradeable laptop more like an Air than a Pro.

I use(d) my MBP primarily for photo work in Lightroom and Photoshop CS5, as well as light video editing in Premiere. The better quality graphics card of the 15 inch 2011 model was the deciding factor for choosing that size. Before the theft I was looking at upgrading the memory as well as replacing the optical drive with an SSD. IF the new models have those upgrades already built in the ability to upgrade the current design might not be a problem.

Apologies ahead of time if this thread was placed in the wrong place.
Dan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But my question is whether or not I should just go right down to the apple store and buy the current Macbook Pro or wait until the new models are introduced next month.

Can you wait 1 month? If so...then wait!;)

- Nick

p.s. Of course the key to this course of action is...are new MBP's really going to be released next month?? None of us know for sure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
One thing to keep in mind, if the optical drive is removed on the new models, you probably won't be able to run dual drives in them. So you will be limited to a larger but slower HDD or a smaller but faster SSD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One thing to keep in mind, if the optical drive is removed on the new models, you probably won't be able to run dual drives in them. So you will be limited to a larger but slower HDD or a smaller but faster SSD.

That's a good point. Even though I wouldn't miss an optical drive, (I hardly ever use mine anymore) not being able to add the second drive (whether SSD or spinner) is definitely a deal breaker for some folks.

Maybe we're being premature in thinking Apple will remove the optical drive from the new line of thin MBPs, however, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe we're being premature in thinking Apple will remove the optical drive from the new line of thin MBPs, however, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. :)

Apple can certainly be pretty radical sometimes!;)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would just buy the current model. All the rumors point to the next model being dumbed down into a MacBook Air-like package. At least the current model is easy to work on and expandable in terms of memory and disk space / disk type.

And when you do make the purchase, be sure the first thing you install on it is Prey:

Open source anti-theft solution for your laptop, phone and tablet – Prey

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The current MBP is awesome... so is the one before that and the one before that. I bought a mid-2010 MBP in Jan 2011, just before the new quad-cores. I love it. It's still awesome.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The current MBP is awesome... so is the one before that and the one before that. I bought a mid-2010 MBP in Jan 2011, just before the new quad-cores. I love it. It's still awesome.

I agree... Just checking with everyone to confirm my suspicions about current vs. yet-to-be-announced 15 inch model. I went down to the local apple store and bought a new 15 inch Mbp but with the faster 2.5 ghz CPU and faster hdd. Just running the initial setup now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree... Just checking with everyone to confirm my suspicions about current vs. yet-to-be-announced 15 inch model. I went down to the local apple store and bought a new 15 inch Mbp but with the faster 2.5 ghz CPU and faster hdd. Just running the initial setup now.

Wow...just after posting your question about 7 hours ago...you now have a new MacBook Pro...nice!!!:)

- Nick

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Wow...just after posting your question about 7 hours ago...you now have a new MacBook Pro...nice!!!:)

- Nick

LOL - that's what I was thinking...but I probably would have done the same. It'll be interesting to see what the new MBPs look like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2.2ghz i7 quadcore 8gbRAM 750gbHD 1.0gbVRAM Radeon 6570M iPod Touch 4G 32gb iPhone 4S
after reading this forum I think I just bought the last awesome MBP 17..if Apple is heading where I think it is heading.....simply no moving parts...and even more stringent EPEAT certification....possibly even shrinking the carbon footprint of all models to come.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Same as mine ;) nice choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I personally would have waited, and after confirmation of the downgrade would have purchased a discounted refurbished 15"!

Doug

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally would have waited, and after confirmation of the downgrade would have purchased a discounted refurbished 15"!

Doug

True, that's a good point as well. But after the shock of being the victim of a home break-in it felt good to just get things back to normal again. I suppose that *if* the new Mbp looks stunning I could take this one back for a refund then buy the new one when it's available. But I don't want to go there really, as I'm very happy with this machine (and the one that was stolen)

Reaction score
I would've waited if I were you. The upgrade looks to be pretty good going by the rumors, and if you didn't like it you could've bought the late 2011 version at a discount =P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.