Ethernet connected, internet isnt working

Reaction score
i have a problem with my macbook pro, i use wifi and the Ethernet cable but mostly in my dorm room i use the ethernet cable and it worked fine, but a few days ago it stopped working.
i tried to repair disk, restart the computer but nothing it displays that its connected and shows an I.P address but it wont connect to the internet pls help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried rebooting the modem/router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm guessing these are lights on the router?

If so you have issues between the router and the modem or service provider. Restart the modem and router and retry (assuming you have access to this equipment).

If that doesn't work you need to speak to the network administrator(if it's campus provided internet) or your service provider.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" ~White 64gb iPhone 4s~MacMini~AppleTV~iPad2&3
Same problem DRIVING ME INSANE

I have the same problem as you and have been searching for the answer going on 3 days now. My MacBook pro (10.6) is showing full bars of connection. Shows ip, but WILL NOT connect to internet. I have been on phone with internet provider for almost 2 hours and they could solve nothing. Airport shows green and says connected, but is red for internet and server.

I have tried - remove airport then re-add
- delete config file
-reset smc
-reset pram

Any other suggestions please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I have the same problem as you and have been searching for the answer going on 3 days now. My MacBook pro (10.6) is showing full bars of connection. Shows ip, but WILL NOT connect to internet. I have been on phone with internet provider for almost 2 hours and they could solve nothing. Airport shows green and says connected, but is red for internet and server.

I have tried - remove airport then re-add
- delete config file
-reset smc
-reset pram

Any other suggestions please!

Doesn't sound like the same issue, your router clearly has a connection nd you're connecting wirelessly not by Ethernet. Can I suggest you try an Ethernet connection direct to the router, then try direct to the modem (if you have one), then create a new thread with those results along with the first three digits of your ip (so we can see if it's local or self-assigned)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It shows connected for airport and Ethernet when connected to either, but will not connect to Internet. It shows ip and all green lights except for Internet and server. The ip it shows is 192.x.x.x. Also my iPad, iPhone, and 4 iPods (kids) and my other desktop and laptop all connect to Internet flawlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
green lights except for Internet and server

These are on your router presumably?

If so how can anything be connecting to the Internet via this router?

Does any access work? Software updates? Mail? Different browsers? Or is it all access?

If you log into the router or modem does the connection show ok?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The lights I am talking about are on the MacBook pro in network utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.