I absolutely have a virus in osx

Reaction score
It's a google redirect virus called "get answers fast." Windows gets it, now apparently OSX does, too. I can see it in my toolbar, "get answers fast." What do I do? I have no idea what to do about this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Care to post a screenshot and give some more details (Mac Model, OSX version, which browser you're using)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It's not a virus exactly. It's malware, in the form of a rootkit. Found this on the official Apple forums, which should help:
First, use a specific DNS. OpenDNS and GoogleDNS are good choices. I always use OpenDNS on all my devices. Go to Use OpenDNS ...or since you're having trouble, bypass any DNS etirely by going to Use OpenDNS

Follow the setup and hopefully the issue will be solved.

Next, install and use ClamXav or Avast! for Mac. Both are, and have always been, free. Use one or the other, not both, and once it's installed, run a complete scan. The problem may be on your machine, on your router, or even with your ISP, but these two steps (new DNS and a system scan) should make you much safer.

C

chas_m

And thus, NOT A VIRUS.

So the score is still: Mac Viruses: 0, Windows Viruses: hundreds of thousands.

Reaction score
I got a virus last year from opening something stupid in parallels. I just wiped the harddrive and reinstalled everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I got a virus last year from opening something stupid in parallels. I just wiped the harddrive and reinstalled everything.

So you were using Windows? Not OSX?

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS

Killing the virtual machine and creating a new one would have saved you a lot of time ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.