Input on site's activity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hey guys I think that we need to improve the website's activity a little bit. I am making a good amount of posts and none of them are being answered or commented on.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hey guys I think that we need to improve the website's activity a little bit. I am making a good amount of posts and none of them are being answered or commented on.

I went back and checked your last several posts, and better than half have gotten a response. Most that have gotten no replies or follow on posts were not the type that generally generates much in the way of responses.

For example, if you post things on this order:

"Hey, I just tried to format my HD and couldn't, does anyone know why?"

or

"Why can't I ______?"

You will usually get no response, because:

1) there isn't nearly enough basic information in the post for someone to give an answer, and most won't want to take the time to fish for it

2) it comes accross like you haven't done your homework, Internet and forum searches etc

3) it doesn't have any hook, as in why is this important to you or them

HTH
Razormac

Reaction score
Yep, I second the response above. There is a lot of information and stickies on this website here and people who post should read those before doing so. That way they know what to include in their post. I also feel like people should ask themselves before posting: Would I understand the issue if I just read the text I entered?

We can't read minds so posting all necessary information and not writing in sentences over 5 lines might help to keep reader interested and keen on helping.

My thoughts :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, folks sometimes post in a haste without thinking about what might be needed in the way of information in order to assist them. Others have absolutely no idea of how to describe the problem let alone know what information to provide.

It's up to us who are informed, to be patient with them and try to extract what we can with follow up posts in order to assist.

Think about the on line support techs who work for Apple and what they go through every day trying to help people get their problems solved. I personally think they do a great job and I also believe we do too.

Keep up the good work guys and gals. Mac Forums is the best!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I know that I posted a "that's not much to go on" reply the other day. I wonder if it was one of the OP's unanswered posts?? Anyway, that type of response is sometimes needed to get people to focus on the reader rather than just on their frustration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.