Macbook Pro Overheat

Reaction score
Hello Guys, I'm new here and i wanna make a question
Sometimes when I'm running heavy applications on my Macbook Pro 15" (6,2) the aluminium case turns too hot to use on my legs, I have to use some kind of plataform to avoid 'burning' me.
Sometimes I try to turn on the air conditioner directly to my Macbook but I know that's just 'useless'. The Macbook Pro doesn't have any air entrance or something that allows to use a cooler or something. If I buy a cooler, will it work? What's the best solution for my issue?
Thanks!

Victor

Reaction score
I believe it takes in air from around the keyboard, is your kb covered with a skin?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The best solution is not to use it on your laptop. Get a lap desk if you want to use it on your lap.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But that's not the purpose of purchasing a notebook :/

If this was the solution I'd have bought an iMac..

In sort of a subtle way...that's why "laptop" computers quietly became named "notebook" computers!

Notice the elimination of "lap"??;)

The purpose of purchasing a "notebook" computer is portability. Try carrying an iMac back & forth to work, school, or Starbuck's!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Well, you wanted the best solution, so that's what I gave you.

Also, note that you didn't buy a laptop computer, you bought a notebook computer. Today's notebook computers aren't really designed for laps. The cooling ability of the MacBook computers depend on airflow, if it's sitting on your lap, it can't properly cool itself.

OP
V
Reaction score
ok guys, you won :(
but .. this overheat .. does it affect the processor? can it cause damage or something?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
ok guys, you won :(
but .. this overheat .. does it affect the processor? can it cause damage or something?

If I had a dollar for every-time someone posted a concern on Mac-Forums about the temperature of their notebook/laptop computer...and I replied to them...I would have a lot of money.:)

Believe it or not...you're probably the 3rd person just today I have personally responded to. Don't worry about your computers temp. It's fine...they all get hot from time to time. If it truly gets too hot...it will shut itself off!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.