Unable to Print Family Tree Maker in Classic

Reaction score
I have an E-Mac with 10.4 operating system. On the Mac hard drive I have a Family Tree Maker Deluxe II for Macintosh application and Family Tree.FTW files with all the names for my family tree. I can open the files and the computer goes to Classic OS 9 and then opens the Family Tree application. The family tree information appears on the monitor and I can add and remove names and dates. The problem is I cannot print the family tree files.
When I tell the Family Tree Program to print the files the monitor says it is trying to print with an Apple Style Writer Printer. I have not had an Apple Style Writer Printer for many years. I have a Brother MFC-7420 Printer. Any application on the E-Mac using the OS-10.4 operating system prints using the MFC-7420 Driver and Printer.
When I took the computer with the programs to the local Apple Store Genius Bar they worked on it for an hour and then told me there was no way to tell the Classic Environment to change the printer driver.
I did go to the Brother Web site and down loaded what I thought was a MFC-7420 driver for OS-9 but Family Tree Maker would still not print.
I purchased the present version of Family Tree Maker and used it on a friends Mac with 10.5 and an Intel chip. It said it could not read my Family Tree FTW files.
How can I print my family tree files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
When in Classic, you'd use the Chooser to change print driver.
The secret of Classic printing is that you use the LaserWriter8 driver (a postscript driver) to send postscript over to the OS X "side" to print through an OS X driver.

So, from Classic select the LaserWriter8 driver using Chooser.
Now, when you print (still in Classic), in the Print dialog, you will see Printer: and a pull-down menu. Here is where you can select OS X's printer(s).

Does that help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.