Possible? Spyware on iBook G4 10.4.11 Panther OS X

Reaction score
Hello,

Is it possible that I could have spyware on such an old system: iBook G4, 10.4.11, Panther OS X?

My soon to be ex-husband is a sociopath and actually brags that he is a computer hacker and invades most everyones' phone and computer accounts.

However, I thought that my system was too old and I let my guard down around him.:Lips-Are-Sealed:
He had physical access to my computer for many years and lately no physical access, but he sent me an email from his regular account (so, I wasn't on guard) with a recommendation to join "Tango." I didn't think it was even possible to send spyware through your regular email account? I opened the email but not the attachment.

I have no virus protection because wasn't worried about such an old iBook.

How can I look for Spyware? If spyware is even a possibility and I find it, how can I remove it?

Thank you so much,
Lynn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Because he had physical access to your account, he may still have access to it now (if he really was as competent as he suggested he was). The only way to be sure he no longer has access is to create a new user account and transfer your data across to it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I tried to run ClamXav (to detect spyware) but can't seem to get it going.

Yes, he is very computer savy and very sneaky as well. It is a very real possibility but since I had such an old system I let my guard down...thinking he wouldn't be able to pull it off.

I can create a new user account,,,but still want to find something physical that he could have placed on my system. Is there something special to look for? We have a divorce court date coming up and he is notorious for this type of behavior and I would like to present something to the judge.

Or as I asked before, is planting something on such an old system even possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
So you're saying that this person that you have zero respect for is in the top 0.1 % of all computer users? Have you really thought this through?
What he has is your username and your password. It is up to you to stop that situation.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Most likely is that he knows passwords to all of your email accounts and stuff. This would be particularly dangerous if you were emailing your solicitor, or any other private mail, as he would be able to read them.

My reaction would be to change all my email passwords, aswell as passwords to other accounts. Make them long, unguessable words.

I doubt he has installed spyware. But if you are particularly worried about this, you could try a clean install of the system - This would leave no trace of anything on the computer, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get out your system install discs and pop in Disc 1 or the DVD. Boot from the disc and erase, using the 7-pass option if you prefer. Format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition, choose one partition and into Options, and select Apple Partition Map. Install a nice new clean operating system.

Set it up in your own name with a strong password including alphabetical, numeric and character digits such as "k33poutofmyc0mput3r$".

That will do away with any spyware or key logging programs. Set up a new email account again with a strongly encrypted password. On the net set router as WPA2 Personal with at least a thirteen digit password.

Should you do any online banking select an institution that uses Verisign Identity Protection which generates a one off six digit entry number, random on each occasion. If you have used an eBay account you will know what I mean.

That will keep anyone out unless of course he is with the FBI.

The biggest kick bullies get out of hassling someone is when they know the subject is terrified.

OP
L
Reaction score
gsahli,

you make a lot of assumptions. Actually, he has NO respect for himself.

And yes, he may well be in the .1%. He owns an Electronic Repair Shop and this sort of thing is his specialty. He brags that his good friend is a computer hacker and helps him out with this sort of "thing" (what I am concerned about) and he admitted to me that he electronically spies on most everyone in his life.

Before computers were an everyday item like now, he planted electronic monitoring devices on his other ex-wife including phone taps and some sort of GPS on her car (in the years before I even knew GPS devices existed).

My personal issues that I would know this and still stay with this creep as long as I did, and most importantly let my guard down (thinking that I was immune because of an old ibook G4), is a discussion for a different sort of "help" forum.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you HarryB. A lot of good instruction. I will go look for those original install disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 09 mac mini, core 2 duo 2.53, 4 gigs 1330 DDR3, 320 Gig HD, Samsung external DVD Burner
Because he had physical access to your account, he may still have access to it now (if he really was as competent as he suggested he was). The only way to be sure he no longer has access is to create a new user account and transfer your data across to it.

I love your pic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 09 mac mini, core 2 duo 2.53, 4 gigs 1330 DDR3, 320 Gig HD, Samsung external DVD Burner
Get out your system install discs and pop in Disc 1 or the DVD. Boot from the disc and erase, using the 7-pass option if you prefer. Format the drive Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition, choose one partition and into Options, and select Apple Partition Map. Install a nice new clean operating system.

Set it up in your own name with a strong password including alphabetical, numeric and character digits such as "k33poutofmyc0mput3r$".

That will do away with any spyware or key logging programs. Set up a new email account again with a strongly encrypted password. On the net set router as WPA2 Personal with at least a thirteen digit password.

Should you do any online banking select an institution that uses Verisign Identity Protection which generates a one off six digit entry number, random on each occasion. If you have used an eBay account you will know what I mean.

That will keep anyone out unless of course he is with the FBI.

The biggest kick bullies get out of hassling someone is when they know the subject is terrified.

Perfect advice listen to this person and you won't have to worry about your ex anymore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.