How long will the iPad 2 be relevant?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Hello everyone,

So I'm an iPad 1 owner who was just about to upgrade to the new iPad and unfortunately got "cold feet".

Lot's of issues that I think could take quite a bit of time to get worked out (heating, charging, etc) on the new iPad.

My question is this: All of this has caused me to look into getting a 64gig iPad 2, rather than a 32gig new iPad. How long with the iPad 2 be relevant?

Meaning, as Apple continues to push for the merging of OSX and iOS, will the iPad 2 continue to be a main player in that, or will it be left in the dust behind?

This next iPad purchase of mine will likely be my last Apple purchase for quite some time (not including iPhone upgrades) because I will pretty much have all the Apple stuff I need to be productive for the near future. 27" iMac, 13 Macbook Pro, iPhone, etc.

So I guess I want to make sure that if I pull the trigger on the iPad 2, that it will continue to be an active part of their eco system for some years to come.

Anyone have any insight as to this that you can share?

Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is this: All of this has caused me to look into getting a 64gig iPad 2, rather than a 32gig new iPad. How long with the iPad 2 be relevant?

- What's the sound of one hand clapping?
- How long is a "short" piece of rope?

But seriously...you get out your "crystal-ball"...and I'll get out mine...and let's compare what the future looks like!;)

I really don't think we can say "How long will the iPad 2 be relevant?"...just like we cannot say how long will the latest MacBook Pro, iMac, or Mac-Mini will be relevant.

Will an iPad 2 be relevant in 20 years...no. Will it be relevant in 10 years...probably not. Will it be relevant in 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 years...who knows??;)

Predicting the future is difficult at best.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The iPad 2 will still be relevant as long as people still buy it for $100 less than the new iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
My guess is that by keeping the iPad 2 available at the $399 price point, Apple is positioning it for the educational market. With Apple already announcing initiatives aimes at bringing textbooks to the devices, it makes sense that they would offer a less expensive version of the iPad to schools in order to encourage rapid adoption.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess is that by keeping the iPad 2 available at the $399 price point, Apple is positioning it for the educational market. With Apple already announcing initiatives aimes at bringing textbooks to the devices, it makes sense that they would offer a less expensive version of the iPad to schools in order to encourage rapid adoption.

Just in case it may have been forgotten. Before the "New iPad" was released (and the iPad 2 was the latest & greatest)...the iPad 1 was $399.

So the "educational market" theory can still make sense...but just consider it in the context that the iPad 1 (16gig WiFi) has been available since last March (approximately) for $399.

Also currently...a refurbished iPad 1 (16gig WiFi) is selling for $299:

Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - Black (first generation) - Apple Store (U.S.)

A MUCH more attractive price for the educational market!!!:) Assuming Apple has enough of them left...or Apple may already have a special educational program to sell iPad 1's to schools at a greatly reduced price.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Just a note on the new iPad: I haven't noticed the heat, I have watched iPlayer for an hour and did notice. Charging time for me was 5 hours which is not as bad as has been quoted. Not sure whether people have been unlucky or just exaggerating!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
Sorry for the very subjective question. I'm just still fairly new to the Mac world and am trying to figure out how Apple does things still.

Are they going to continue to actively produce the iPad 2's or are they going to simply produce them until they run out of their stock piled materials?

What I mean is, do you believe that Apple has plans for the iPad 2 for at least a while, or is it pretty much discontinued (at least internally as far as Apple is concerned) so they can focus on the new iPad?

Again sorry for the type of question. I know that we can't predict the future, but I'm sure they have established a pretty good pattern over the last few decades that could at least give a glimpse into what they might decide to do.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are they going to continue to actively produce the iPad 2's or are they going to simply produce them until they run out of their stock piled materials?

I guess it's really hard to say. You can still purchase refurbished iPad 1's from Apple.com (1 year after it was discontinued). Now that iPad 2's are the "old generation"...who really knows if Apple will keep producing them...or just keep selling what they already have in the "distribution pipeline".

Apple generally wants folks to "convert" to the newest products available. So if they kept producing iPad 2's...then folks wouldn't be "forced" to choose the "New iPad"...and BELIEVE me...Apple wants to sell as many "New iPads" as possible! This is the way Apple works!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I think they'll do to iPad sales what they do with the iPhone. They'll continue to produce and sell the previous generation, until it becomes 3 years old. I don't think they'll do a 3GS thing with the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
To me, the iPad 1 is still relevant. I did not upgrade to the iPad 2 and not planning to get the iPad 3. I have a 64GB iPad 1 WiFi that I use for personal things as well as work, and it still does everything I need it to do, and don't see that changing in the near future. Now if my employer were to buy me a new iPad, I would not turn it down, but I have no need of the upgrade.

C

chas_m

I guess it's really hard to say.

No. It is not hard to say. The iPad 2 is still in production, they are not just "selling out their stock."

Apple WILL announce when the iPad 2 is no longer available to buy new. My guess would be a year from now, but that's just a guess. Once they announce that the iPad 2 has been discontinued, THEN they will be "selling out their stock" through the refurb store.

Now that iPad 2's are the "old generation"...who really knows if Apple will keep producing them.

I do. Legally they cannot sell the iPad 2 as a new product if they are no longer producing them. There, that was easy!

Apple generally wants folks to "convert" to the newest products available.

That's broadly true, but I must point out that they sell the iPhone 3GS. Brand new. Three years after it was announced.

So I think it's fairly clear that the iPad 2 ... like the 3GS ... is still a supported product. As long as Apple thinks the equipment will offer the user a great experience running the latest iOS, they will likely make it available. With the 3GS I think that's coming to the end of its line, but it has lasted FAR longer than I think most people expected.

My guess would be (again, just a guess) that the next MAJOR revision of iOS will leave the 3GS and the 2010 iPad behind, but we might well see the iPad 2 sticking around for a while. I'd say at least until next year, possibly longer if Apple can get component parts for it even lower in cost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They could always put the A4X chip in the iPad 2 and continue selling them, sort of a revamped iPad 2 but without the retina display

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Keeping my iPad2

I just spent a half hour in the Apple Store doing a side-by-side comparison of the new iPad and my current iPad2. From that I can say that without question the new iPad:
1) Is faster
2) Has sharper video and photos, with deeper richer color
3) Has sharper text with greater clarity

If I didn't have an iPad and were in the market for one I would choose the new iPad at the higher price without a moments hesitation.

Having said all of that, I'm keeping my current and waiting. The iPad2 is such a great media consumption tool and without having the new iPad beside it as a constant reminder that it's no longer number one, I'm still very happy with it. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I just spent a half hour in the Apple Store doing a side-by-side comparison of the new iPad and my current iPad2. From that I can say that without question the new iPad:
1) Is faster
2) Has sharper video and photos, with deeper richer color
3) Has sharper text with greater clarity

If I didn't have an iPad and were in the market for one I would choose the new iPad at the higher price without a moments hesitation.

Having said all of that, I'm keeping my current and waiting. The iPad2 is such a great media consumption tool and without having the new iPad beside it as a constant reminder that it's no longer number one, I'm still very happy with it. ;D

My thoughts also. I may pick up next years model, and hand down my iPad 2 to my fiancée and sell the iPad 1 she is currently using, but not sure yet. Will wait and see.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First off, with people who know what they are talking about, I see no issues with the new iPad. Read this review. These folks know their stuff. Look at the display pics and tests.

AnandTech - The Apple iPad Review (2012)

I believe the so called HEAT issue is totally being blown way out of proportion.

Others here have answered the question about the iPad 2. If I could afford a new iPad, I would get the new one without even thinking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.