I mac not shutting down.

Reaction score
Hi. I have an i mac (quad core) running on Mac os x 10.7.3. I am finding increasingly that despite me closing all programmes properly the mac doesnt shut down. I find it goes to the grey screen and the mac spiral appears, I have to push the power button to shut the machine down. Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
How are you attempting to shut it down (prior to hitting the power button)?

Im sure your not far off base from the correct order..

Click the Apple in the top left...

then select shut down..

then select shut down now, or let the timer do it all on its own after 60 seconds..

Just to make sure you have all the programs closed you can press... Command&Option&Delete at the same time and that will show you whats running.. up front of in the background (not maximized).

GL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'd recommend that you run a hardware test using Disk Utility > First Aid from the original install disk that came with the iMac.

I'll assume you know how to boot your iMac from the DVD, otherwise post back for further instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.