Slow Mac Book Air, high system cpu usage

Reaction score
My mac book air is running slow and I'm not sure why. When I go into activity monitor the RAM looks good, the HD disk space is good, but the CPU usage is high. Particularly system. It gets up to 85% even when I only have one or two programs open that take up less than 10% of the CPU usage. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I'd check activity monitor to see what is using the CPU so heavily.

If you click the % column, it will list processes in usage order.

ScreenShot2012-03-22at125712PM.png

OP
M
Reaction score
I did check that

I did sort it by CPU usage and nothing is showing high usage except the one or two applications that are running and they combined are less than 10%. So basically none of the system processes listed show substantial cpu usage.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It gets up to 85% even when I only have one or two programs open that take up less than 10% of the CPU usage. Any suggestions?

What two programs are we talking about?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't matter, but I had Outlook and firefox most recently. I mostly just use my computer for email and internet.

Of course it matters...that's why I asked the question. You didn't mention what the two apps. were originally...that's why I asked.:) If you were using two high-demand apps...that could explain the high cpu usage.

You can be "just using Firefox"...and that can cause high cpu usage. The measure of "high cpu" usage isn't that your "just" using Firefox & Outlook...but what you're doing when using those programs.

For example...if you're using Firefox to watch You-Tube videos on the internet...your cpu usage will get very high!!! This is just one example...there are many other possibilities as well.

- Nick

Reaction score
if you're using Firefox to watch You-Tube videos on the internet...your cpu usage will get very high!!! This is just one example...there are many other possibilities as well.- Nick

Due to Flash usage?

If so, that can be massively reduced by viewing the files as H.264/HTML5, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Due to Flash usage?

If so, that can be massively reduced by viewing the files as H264, etc.

As I mentioned...watching You-Tube videos is just one example...and the older the computer...generally the higher the cpu usage.

Various results for flash player watching the same video (cpu usage):

- 2009 Mac Pro - 35%
- 2008 MacBook Pro - 60%
- 2007 MacBook Pro - 70%

I'm sure amount of ram & type of gpu play a factor. Also...full screen vs. small window...HD video vs. non-HD.

There are other things that can also cause high-cpu usage on the internet as well. Watching You-Tube videos is just one.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
What i meant

I didn't mean to imply what you asked didn't matter I meant, the high system cpu usage happens no matter what applications I have open. So it could be firefox and outlook, or it could be just excel. The slowness doesn't seem app related. And if Firefox was the problem wouldn't that show up under user % instead of system?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Next time you see this happening, go to File > Save and save a copy of your process list. Once you've done that, post it here and we'll take a look.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't mean to imply what you asked didn't matter I meant, the high system cpu usage happens no matter what applications I have open.

Ok...I see...the "It doesn't matter" statement was a bit confusing!;)

So it could be firefox and outlook, or it could be just excel. The slowness doesn't seem app related. And if Firefox was the problem wouldn't that show up under user % instead of system?

Of the applications mentioned...I would say Firefox (or any internet browser could be the culprit). With the internet browsers...what you're doing on the internet can make a big difference.

For example...if you're on Mac-Forums...cpu use will be low...but do things like:

- view You-Tube videos
- play online games
- do video chatting
- etc.

Now I know...you're probably going to say you don't do those things. What I am saying is...from time to time you're visiting certain web pages (or some sort of internet based task) that will increase cpu usage.

It may also be interesting to know (at least in my experience)...that sometimes the " high cpu values" in Activity Monitor will remain high even AFTER you stop doing whatever it was that spiked cpu use. And that could be from a couple days ago.

My advice is. When you see high cpu values...and you don't think you're doing anything "heavy-duty"...restart/reboot the computer. The will "reset" anything that's "out of wack". Then you can start fresh.:)

- Nick

p.s. Your computers age & system configuration (ram, cpu speed, video hardware, etc.) can make a difference as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next time you see this happening, go to File > Save and save a copy of your process list. Once you've done that, post it here and we'll take a look.

A very good suggestion!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Screen Shot

As you can see the system CPU usage is almost at 80% but there is nothing indicating what is utilizing the 80% in the processes.

Picture 2.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you can see the system CPU usage is almost at 80% but there is nothing indicating what is utilizing the 80% in the processes.

Kind of hard to "see"...the image is on the small side. I did zoom-in to max....but the whole Activity/Process list can't be seen. Need to scroll down to see the rest of the list...and post that image.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In the box that says "My Processes", change that to "System Processes."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or better yet, All Processes.
True, that will work. I was hoping that the system process list would make it easier for us since this seems to be a problem with system processes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Kernel usage high

As you can see from your help I determined the kernel CPU usage was extremely high. I opened up the console and determined that a program NasNavigator was spitting out a ton of messages. This is a program that scans the network for a Buffalo Drive. The mac already had a connection setup to their share drive with SMB so I uninstalled the program. After rebooting it was still spitting out messages in the console. I rebooted to safe mode and did a search on the entire mac for any file that started with "nas" or "nav" and deleted them. Rebooted to normal mode still seeing the messages. Any suggestions?

Picture 11.png

Picture 16.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kernel_task is a "representation" of the kernel which is responsible for low level operation of the OS. As such, it's not the kernel per se that is causing issues but something that is continually making system calls to it.

A quick search suggests that NAS software is notorious for causing this. I'd suggest that you reinstall the software and uninstall it using the prescribed steps (you seemed to suggest that you did this manually).

OP
M
Reaction score
Reinstall of OS

So I uninstalled the program and errors went away in the console. However, The CPU usage problem still hasn't gone away.

Apple recommended doing the following.

Backup time machine to an external HD
Boot into repair HD and erase disk
Reinstall OS from repair HD
Perform Time Machine restore

Do you think this would work and would I still have my files and programs?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.