Mac starts as if in MS DOS

Reaction score
Hi,

For a while now my iMac (2006 model) has been starting up and shutting down in what looks like macs version of MS DOS, I think it is called open firmware, but i may be wrong. I've searched around and not really seen any solutions to this.

I was having some other issues with the mac and had a big clean out of old files and stuff. So I decided to zero(x7) it and start again from Snow Leopard and I'm now running Lion, but it still takes ages to load up and run through this DOS like system every time I start it.

Have I inadvertently turned this on somehow and can it be turn off?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Kinneas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Restart and then reset PRAM, by immediately holding command-option-p-r (yes, all 4 at once). If you did it correctly, you'll hear the start gong again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
Run in terminal the command nvram -p .
If see a line with boot_arg v
run the command sudo boot-args=
or sudo su boot-args=
restart you computer directly after the command

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's occurring after reinstall, it sounds like your "s" key might be stuck. If possible, try a different keyboard. If you don't, turn off/unplug your keyboard and try booting the machine.

OP
K
Reaction score
Holding command-option-p-r on start up seems to have solved it! Thanks a lot folks, was nothing wrong with per se, it was just annoying. Thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Explanation - it seems that command-y changes a setting in the PRAM/NVRAM, which should automatically revert after a complete shutdown.
If it doesn't revert, resetting PRAM does it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.