Mac newbie loving Mac, but disliking MS Outlook and iChat. Need advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.4 GHz Intel i7 8Gb MacBook Pro
Hello,

I'm an extremely happy PC to Mac convert. Too bad it took me all these years to finally see the light. However, it shouldn't surprise that the one thing I truly dislike within my Mac is the Microsoft product that I run on it; MS Outlook 2011. Besides being feature bloated - how many color tags and email configure option panes does one need? - the one feature I do want, and do use, is rules. Unfortunately, the rules feature works only when it wants to, which isn't often, especially if you have more than a half-dozen rules and various IMAP folders to assign the rule(s) to.

I paid and downloaded Sparrow knowing it didn't have the rules feature, and I think it's great and lite, but I've decided that I need the rules function due to all the emails I receive via various accounts.

So question #1. Any suggestions for a best-in-class email client for Mac that has a rules feature...that works?

Secondly, neither iChat nor Adium allows me to send or receive files from a Gmail account. Annoying. I'm not alone it seems after scouring the Net for a solution. Anyone here have a solution or software recommendation? I suppose this issue might be fixed in the next OS?

I sincerely appreciate being part of this community.

Peace and God Bless...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I tried several solutions and ended up using the native mac "Mail" program and "iCal". I do use Word and I agree it is not great but I am adjusting to it. In general I am buying into the notion that the thing to do is to use the native applications. They do work well although not as feature rich as the Office applications running in windows.

C

chas_m

So question #1. Any suggestions for a best-in-class email client for Mac that has a rules feature...that works?

You paid for a third-party Mac app when Mail is just sitting there? Did you even give it a try? It has a great Rules feature.

Secondly, neither iChat nor Adium allows me to send or receive files from a Gmail account. Annoying.

I use an AIM screen name on iChat but I'm pretty sure I've passed a file or two to GMail users before and vice version. My wife uses Adium, I'll ask her about that but I can't see why that wouldn't work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Unless Google has changed things, even in Windows with Gchat (Googles chat application) It's never sent file attaches. I always figured it was a google issue as iChat will send files perfectly with AIM chat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, 15", iCore 7, 8GB, Thunderbolt Display
agree with the other guys - mail in combination with ical and the address book is truly what you need :)

Reaction score
I tried several solutions and ended up using the native mac "Mail" program and "iCal". I do use Word and I agree it is not great but I am adjusting to it. In general I am buying into the notion that the thing to do is to use the native applications. They do work well although not as feature rich as the Office applications running in windows.
I went this route too after trying to make Outlook work on my new iMac and no regrets, though I miss the all-apps-in-one Outlook experience at times. I use BusyCal instead of iCal because I got it cheap in a bundle, but feel no need to replace the stock Mail app. Its rules work for me.

OP
ShaneK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.4 GHz Intel i7 8Gb MacBook Pro
I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. Going the native Apple Mail route.

Peace and God Bless....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.