Missing Apps

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just restored lion os x after a suspected bug. But now all of the sudden iPhoto and garage band are completely missing from my computer. Possibly other apps too which I haven't noticed yet.

How can I get these back with out having to do another restore or purchasing these apps?

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged. Not necessary to double post. Thanks.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Was Lion pre-installed on your machine or did you upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard? If you upgraded from Snow Leopard, iPhoto and Garage Band were already installed and carried over. If you then installed Lion clean those apps are not included with Lion and are now gone. You'll need to restore them from a backup if you have one or from your Snow Leopard DVD (if you have one).

What suspected bug made you reinstall Lion? I don't know of any bugs in Lion.

OP
C
Reaction score
Lion was preinstalled on my computer. This is my first mac so i don't have any snow leopard discs or anything.

If i do another restore will the apps come back - maybe???

So i'm still unsure of how to get these apps back? When i restored I also did a disc erase from Disc Utility - was this a good idea???

With the bug - maybe i'm using the wrong terminology. I let "someone" remotely access my computer some days ago. since then not all my passwords have been working correctly. A mac guy suggested the restore.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand what happened. It's best to do a complete reinstall of Lion by downloading it again from the App store. That will restore the missing apps and also the Recovery partition which you will need to do any future maintenance. As far as the passwords are concerned, consider them compromised and create new ones just to be safe. If you have any further problems, let Apple deal with it as your machine is still under warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And keep others out of your computer. A lot of Windows users just can't resist to get into a Mac to see what the difference is without knowing what they are doing.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, Thanks. So i won't need to hit Command R - power (option-power)? Will this mean i have 2 copies of lion or will the new download replace the old one?

If I download the app will that remove my documents.

How many GB will this use up. I'm only on a 5GB monthly limit.

I'm rather new at all this stuff.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You shouldn't have to pay for it again. Take a look at this hint from the MacWorld Hints forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.