losing my wifi signal (and my mind!!!)

Reaction score
Ok, so I own a macbook pro, imac, iphone, ipod, and ipad. I am connected to the internet using an airport extreme router, and I subscribe to comcast internet.

My problem is that I consistently lose my internet connection. I've had a comcast service rep to my house, and he could not detect any issues.

Some days, my connection is fine. Other days, I will try to log on to the internet using any of these devices, and I will not get a connection. My wifi indicator in the upper right of my screen shows that I have a signal, but it is wrong! I will turn the airport off, then try to turn it back on, and nothing happens (the device can't find the signal)....I am forced to unplug my modem and router and let everything boot up again. This seems to be the only way to resolve the issue. But it is only temporary. I may get a few hours or a few days without it happening again, but inevitably, it will happen again.

I don't know what to do, or know why this is happening. But it has been going on for months now, and I am fed up! Any assistance is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Are you renting a modem from Comcast? I was having wireless issues where wireless was slow - and just changing the Modem fixed it for me. Plus they are charging $7/month - so if you buy a Modem you'll make your money up in around 10 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '11 iMac 21.5", iPad 4 w/Retina Display 16GB, 13.3" MacBook Pro (Late '11) 500 GB HD, 2.4 GHz
I had the same issue. I read in another post something about iTunes being a culprit. The person who wrote the post went through a long series of steps that still didn't fully satisfy his issue. Here's what I've done and it works...exit iTunes if you're not using it. As soon as I did, my internet connection went right back to normal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.