Windows POP folders

Reaction score
Sorry to post this in a Mac forum, but it does relate. My Windows 7 laptop running WindowsLive is moving emails from the Inbox to a POP folder in the trash. The messages that stay briefly in the Inbox get pushed to my MacMail, but the POP folder contents do not. I want to be able to read ALL my mail on the iMac but I can't. My iPad, however can see the POP folders so I don't know if the problem is with IOS, OSX or Microsoft. Please help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of mail account do you have setup with Windows Live? If it's a PoP 3 account, change it to IMAP and your problem will be solved. If Windows Live does not offer a free IMAP account, switch your mail ISP to GMail (Google) which is free and works well with both Windows and Mac OS X including mobile devices.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you chscag for the quick reply ----- now, let me display my real stupidity and ask you how to change my POP3 account to IMAP ---- I have gone to the browser and logged on to WindowsLive, but I can't crack open the area to change settings.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, but someone else who is familiar with Windows Live will have to answer you as I no longer use Windows Live or Hotmail. I use GMail which is easy to switch.

I would think that Windows Live should have account setup instructions on line and an option to choose IMAP. As I stated before, it may not be free though.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks again, chscag for your reply and advice ----- I have spent numerous hours on this task and have not resolved the issue ---- today I had the inbox populated for several hours and then, BOOM, everything dumped into a POP folder. I will now attempt to do what you have done and convert to gmail ---- I tried once before but my MACmail screen was full of MSN, Gmail, iCloud, etc. and I didn't know what I could safely delete. I have set the enable IMAP button in gmail and have set the "from" to be from my msn address ---- Can I now delete the MSN from my Macmail preferences

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.