NetInstall Lion 10.7.3 Issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Hi,

Im hoping someone maybe able to help.

We have 200+ Macs within college and each year we roll out a new Image with all updates \ new software (then bind to AD / OD).

I have created a image of Mac OS Lion 10.7.3 with all apps we require (Office, Adobe CS5, etc..), on a iMac 21.5" Intel.

We usually create a NetInstall image then roll this out to all Macs so they all get the same image.

However when go to System Image Utility the NetInstall its greyed out & asking for the Lion DVD?

Is there a way to create a NetInstall image of a Mac HD-with Lion & Apps installed so we can deploy?

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated

Olly :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's part of the System Image Utility in Lion Server it's not part of a standard 'consumer' Lion Install

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
We have the System Image utility which comes with the Server Admin tools but when we run it the NetInstall option is greyed out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Are you trying to make an install DVD or an image you'll mount from a network volume?

You only use NetInstall for the DVD route. If it's an image you're creating you use NetRestore if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
Alternate method

Try "ccc" Carbon Copy Cloner. Look it up and let me know if it may be suitable for your needs and/or if you tried it and achieved success.
Best Wishes & Good Luck.

Reaction score
Are you trying to make an install DVD or an image you'll mount from a network volume?

You only use NetInstall for the DVD route. If it's an image you're creating you use NetRestore if I remember correctly.

Yes it's the NetRestore choice that you wanted. NetInstall is for DVD-style package deployment.

CCC is not supported for mass deployment. It is for backing up a single machine. The author has always stipulated this. He did not build in the special changes needed to create mass deployable images. He did that in NetRestore which of course is now defunct. Only use Apple System Image Utility for best results. You can extract the master image from this if you want to deploy it via other methods.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.