Outlook synced through Dropbox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb
Is it possible to sync outlook or outlook express, through Dropbox?

But the tricky bit is across platforms from windows to Mac?

Please say so! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
ShortNo.

If you want to sync mail cross-platform using pretty much any mail client look to using an email service that supports IMAP.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb
Thanks for the reply, mail is not that important in this situation, what I mainly want is to sync detailed contacts databases and I thought outlook would be best.

Any suggestions of software to do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Thanks for the reply, mail is not that important in this situation, what I mainly want is to sync detailed contacts databases and I thought outlook would be best.

Any suggestions of software to do this?

Sync with multiple users? Sync instantly? Automatically? Manually?

I'd suggest using a gmail account that has exchange access and allows cross-platform syncing but if you could explain a little more about what you're trying to do then that would help.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Basically, I want to set up a contacts database, that I can manually sync, doesn't need to be instant. Two different users, one regular on a windows laptop, one occasionally on a MacBook.

Both however, would need instant access offline, I had considered Gmail, but I guess the details wouldn't be available offline. For example I would regularly need to search various information fields, home address, service date etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had considered Gmail, but I guess the details wouldn't be available offline. For example I would regularly need to search various information fields, home address, service date etc.

So long as you use a client like Outlook etc the contacts are synced - i.e. there's an identical copy online and on your machine(s) so they would be available offilne

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I don't have outlook on my Mac, but it is on the windows PC, so if I get it for my Mac, I'll be able to sync contacts across both?

Sorry if I appear dumb on this subject, just want to be clear.

And thanks for your prompt replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can sync it down to Address Book on your Mac

Open address Book and go to Preferences - Accounts

The best thing to do is create gmail account, add a few dummy contacts in then configure address book on your Mac and Outlook? on the PC and you'll see how it works without impacting your existing data

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will do just that, thanks for all your help.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE:

I have created a gmail account, and synced contacts between it and my address book and it mostly worked fine.

But now when I sync my phone to my Mac, which then syncs with Gmail, it doesn't sync all information. Names, numbers and addresses work fine, but additional info like notes etc won't sync.

Any ideas how to make this work?

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firstly, I'd suggest setting your phone to sync over-the-air using Gmail via exchange rather than syncing through iTunes.
Details here
This way everything is in sync in near real time and you don't need to even think about when you last synced etc.

As for the Notes issue; which notes are you talking about? Notes from you iPhone or Outlook?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I'll set it up to sync that way.

What I mean, is the notes, additional fields etc in each individual contact won't sync, I'll try it the way you suggest and see if it works.

To sum what I want to do again is:

Office has a windows laptop, using the gmail account,
I have a mac and IPhone,
I want to sync contacts between all 3, but ideally all 3 can update contacts and then sync all 3.

Doing it the way you say, I think I'll be able to:

Sync iPhone to gmail contacts,
Then sync phone to mac address book and vice versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Setting up each client (PC, Mac, Phone) to sync with gmail means all three can update, all three will see the same thing and all this will happen in near real-time (when connected to the internet one way or another).

You don't need to sync the phone, Mac or the PC to one another it's all done via gmail as the hub.

Make a change on the phone and that change is upwardly synced to the gmail "cloud" and the pushed back down to the PC and Mac. This is true of all three devices and any other you choose to connect to the same account.

EDIT:
If you're using Lion - gmail sync won't sync directly to your Mac Address book without using either an email client or as you say syncing via your iPhone. Apologies for the duff info
EDIT2:
I'm clearly over-caffeinated today I was right the first time . . . you can sync address book direct with gmail, even in Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a test I've just added a note to a contact within the online interface of GMail. Within seconds it had been pushed down to my iPhone and iPad.

So contact notes are definitely synced by gmail. If you aren't seeing them I'd suggest it's a limit of the client rather than the capabilities of gmails exchange sync.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I've changed things to work as you said.

It works well, however, I still have the same issue, there is a limit to how much info each contact can carry in the sync, from Gmail to phone. From their known issues section:

Limited Contact Information. The iOS device can synchronize up to 3 email addresses. Phone number synchronization is limited to 2 Home numbers, 1 Home Fax, 1 Mobile, 1 Pager, 3 Work (one will be labeled 'Company Main') and one Work Fax number.

This is the real issue I have, and it has me up the walls!!!!!

There doesn't appear to be any restriction, when a contact from my phone is synced to gmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using gmail iMac or exchange?

I'm using exchange and happily sync notes and more

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using exchange.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I'm afraid I don't know where to go with this. As stated previously I can sync notes. True I don't have contacts with 9 phone numbers! But I do have some pretty full contacts, two addresses 3 emails, 4 numbers and notes and they all sync fine.

The only thing I'd suggest is creating a dummy contact and gradually build up info, including notes. Perhaps it's a volume issue rather than an individual field issue.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, and thanks for your help.

I don't think it's a volume issue, because some may have only a name, a number and a note, but the note won't carry over.

Again, thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I could help more. Just tried it again.

added a note to a contact online, it appeared on my phone near instantly
edited the note on the phone and the change appeared online in seconds
removed the note online and it disappeared on my phone.

There's got to be something I'm missing.

Hopefully you or someone else will spot it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.