Combo charger/audio cable that doesn't override volume control?

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a combination audio and charger cable for my iPhone. In other words, something like this:

Amazon.com: Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and Audio Cable for iPhone/iPod, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories

I bought that cable, and the moment I connect it to my iPhone, all volume controls disappear from any apps. For example, in the iPod application, the volume controls completely disappear. Other apps display "no volume available" where a volume slider would normally be.

I tried a different usb/audio cable as well, and same result.

I guess the theory is that I'd be controlling the volume through whatever device I'm plugging it into, but I'd prefer to still control the volume on the phone itself, as when I connect to the headphone jack.

So I'm wondering: does anyone know if there's a combo charger/audio cable for iPhone that will still let me control the volume on the iPhone itself?

Or maybe there's some setting on the iPhone itself?

Thanks for any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.