I have got £450.00 / $770 to spend on a mac what should I get?

Reaction score
I have got £450.00 / $770 to spend on a mac what should I get?

Should I get

1) G4 Powermac - I am seeing a few dual processor G4 powermac on ebay
2) Mac Mini
3) Or save some more money and get a G5

I am currently using Ubuntu Linux. My main jobs for my pc are Webdesign and creating buttons and images for these websites using photoshop.

I am desperate for a mac. What do you reckon?

Honest opionions will OSX run well on a G4

S

sursuciofla

Doesn't seem like you really need G5 power. Unless you are doing anything else you are not mentioning the G4 PM or the Mac Mini would be fine. What are the specs for the G4 PM you are considering?

OP
A
Reaction score
sursuciofla said:
Doesn't seem like you really need G5 power. Unless you are doing anything else you are not mentioning the G4 PM or the Mac Mini would be fine. What are the specs for the G4 PM you are considering?

I am seeing quite a few dual processor G4 powermacs on ebay with 1 gb of memory.

S

sursuciofla

And I do a lot more than you as far as what apps I am running and I use the iBook the majority of the time and it does fine for me. I also use G5 and G4 PMs but never have the Mini. The Mini has better specs than my current iBook so considering that, I guess the Mini is fine for you. Since it comes new with the warranty I would go for that. If I were in your shoes I would feel more safe with getting the Mini over the used G4. If you plan on expanding as far as what type of designing you do you might want to just save up for the G5. Oh and I forgot to mention that the Mini could be a good starter and then you can really decide what you need from that. Basically why I got the ibook because it has helped me to figure out what I want to purchase when I finish my degrees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
I suggest saving up a couple hundred more, and getting the 12" ibook.

J

jn4jenny

hondagus87 said:
I suggest saving up a couple hundred more, and getting the 12" ibook.

Although I am an Apple laptop user myself, I suggest that you ignore this advice about the iBook. Clearly you are in the market for a desktop machine. This is probably someone who owns an iBook and thinks that therefore everyone else should own one too. :rolleyes:

At any rate, the Mac Mini and a Powermac G4 will both do you just fine for the sort of work you're describing. Mac OS X runs more than fine on a G4, especially if you have 512MB of memory in it (minimum suggested memory for OS X Tiger). Remember that the vast majority of Apples are still on a G4 chip, so it would be totally impractical for OS X to run anything less than perfectly on a G4 chip. This is especially true in the dual processor machines like the PowerMac.

If you're debating between the PowerMac and the Mac Mini, the info at lowendmac.com help you. It lists both the best retail deals for each machine (although as you know, almost no retail site can beat Ebay prices) and it compares the PowerMac and the Mini. here are two helpful and revealing articles about the PowerMac G4 versus Mac Mini question:

http://lowendmac.com/myturn/05/0511.html
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/deals.html

If it were me, I'd be tempted to go for a Mac Mini because they're all still eligible for AppleCare (they're less than 12 months old) and because most of them will probably come with Tiger pre-loaded. The PowerMac G4's weren't sold after 2003, so they're no longer eligible for a new AppleCare plan, which can only be purchased in the first 12 months of system life, and some of them might still be sold with OS X 10.2 Jaguar. By contrast, even the oldest Mac Minis were released in January 2005, so they're still eligible for warranty coverage and most of them probably come with Tiger installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
jn4jenny said:
Although I am an Apple laptop user myself, I suggest that you ignore this advice about the iBook. Clearly you are in the market for a desktop machine. This is probably someone who owns an iBook and thinks that therefore everyone else should own one too. :rolleyes:

At any rate, the Mac Mini and a Powermac G4 will both do you just fine for the sort of work you're describing. Mac OS X runs more than fine on a G4, especially if you have 512MB of memory in it (minimum suggested memory for OS X Tiger). Remember that the vast majority of Apples are still on a G4 chip, so it would be totally impractical for OS X to run anything less than perfectly on a G4 chip. This is especially true in the dual processor machines like the PowerMac.

If you're debating between the PowerMac and the Mac Mini, the info at lowendmac.com help you. It lists both the best retail deals for each machine (although as you know, almost no retail site can beat Ebay prices) and it compares the PowerMac and the Mini. here are two helpful and revealing articles about the PowerMac G4 versus Mac Mini question:

http://lowendmac.com/myturn/05/0511.html
http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/deals.html

If it were me, I'd be tempted to go for a Mac Mini because they're all still eligible for AppleCare (they're less than 12 months old) and because most of them will probably come with Tiger pre-loaded. The PowerMac G4's weren't sold after 2003, so they're no longer eligible for a new AppleCare plan, which can only be purchased in the first 12 months of system life, and some of them might still be sold with OS X 10.2 Jaguar. By contrast, even the oldest Mac Minis were released in January 2005, so they're still eligible for warranty coverage and most of them probably come with Tiger installed.

I actually own both a macmini, and an ibook. The thing with getting a macmini, is that you have to get a monitor, keyboard, and a mouse. By the time you are finished getting all of these things, you have spent just as much as an ibook. I suggest an ibook, because of the portability, built in screen, and the fact that you can go up to 1.5gb of memory compared to 1GB on the mini. I barely use my macmini anymore, because I enjoy using the ibook more, it is easier to use because of the portability, and it seems faster than the mini to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I would recommend either getting an iBook, or a PowerMac. Given how cheap the dual processor models are these days along with their upgradeability (you could pump them up to a dual 1.8 GHz in the future if needed, not to mention video cards), I wouldn't even consider a Mac Mini unless you were extremely strapped for room.

S

sursuciofla

And to the earlier post I am sure he already owns a monitor, keyboard, and mouse from his PC which should also work with the Mini if I am correct.

Z

zap2

adrian29uk said:
Honest opionions will OSX run well on a G4

yes, OSX will run fine on any G4 that has some RAM, Max out the Ram is possible at least 512(doubt what is *required* by Apple for Tiger)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.