How to put my Mac's hard drive on my external?

Reaction score
So I spilled water on my Macbook Pro yesterday (got the water off, powered it off, turned it upside down). I then took it to the Apple Store and told them what had happened. They recommended that I take my hard drive out, before any damage could be done to it, and copy it somewhere else. So they took the hard drive out for me (I have it by itself in a static shielding bag), but I have absolutely no clue how to go about copying it somewhere else. I do have a WD External Hard Drive that I used with the computer I could put it on, can anyone help me with doing this?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did they actually place a drive in the machine at all? To copy it you would need it back in and hook up the external and run cloning software such as SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. You should be aware it is probable other damage may have been caused by the spill to logic board etc. This will show up in a couple of days to weeks.

Have a read of this:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.