Help!

Reaction score
Mail Version 3.6 unable to receive emails. Why?

I have Mac Mail Version 3.6 and I need some help. Please... my email will not come in. I have tried everything I can think of. Called the internet provider they said it was a software glitch. Does anyone have any ideas? (OSX 10.5.8) Mail keeps asking for my password, when I provide it, it says it is invalid. I've changed it, restarted, still no email. I can send out. I can see my emails on the internet site of my provider, but I want it back in my Mac Mail. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It has been 5 days now...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Access your eMail provider's web site from your browser. Log in and then change your password. After doing that, go back to your Mail app and change the password there to correspond to the new one. Let us know if this works.

OP
L
Reaction score
Change password?

I don't know how to change the password in Mail. I thought it would be easy, but I'm having trouble. Can you please advise me? I did change the password like you said and then when I went to Mail the only way for me to send an email was by using the new password I just changed with the provider, and I never changed it in Mail. I found that strange.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to access your account options in the Mail program and setup the new password so that it gets copied to your "Keychain". Unless you do that, you'll have to enter the new password each time you send and receive mail from your ISP. Very inconvenient.

OP
L
Reaction score
Any New Ideas?

You need to access your account options in the Mail program and setup the new password so that it gets copied to your "Keychain". Unless you do that, you'll have to enter the new password each time you send and receive mail from your ISP. Very inconvenient.

Ok, everything went well, changed the password. Now the mail goes out effortlessly but does not come back when I send it to myself. I find it online with my internet provider's site. Why do you think I still can not receive email in Mail? Do you think it could have anything to do with my setting up bill paying with my internet provider? All this started about the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Obviously something has corrupted in your mail settings, either in the Account Information Passwords or the Incoming/Outgoing Mail servers. Check what appears in your Incoming mail server. it should read something similar to
'mail.yourispname.com'

Also check with the ISP the port number.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.