Would like to have OS 10.6 & XP on new 64GB SSD

Reaction score
This is my 1st post so please bare with me!

I'm expecting my new Crucial 64GB SSD & Seagate Momentum XT 750GB HHD tomorrow. I'm upgrading my late '08 MacBook Al Unibody 2.4Gz 13" laptop. I have a Boot Camp partition on current HD in which I would like carry over with with new setup. I'm also upgrading from 2GBs Ram to 8GBs.

Regarding my 2 new drives, I would like to max./optimum the available hard drives as possible going forward. How would be happy if you would share with on how best to do this? I would like to have both OS 10.6 & MS XP Professional on the SSD and possibly all the heavy hitting apps on the SSD with everything else on the 750GB Seagate XT (also used in part as my Time Machine backup).

Hope this query is straight forward enough for you to understand my question. Appreciate any and all advice you could offer me. Thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Can I do this by installing each OS are their own partition (2 partitions) on my new Crucial 64GB SSD? Should this be done as a fresh install for each OS? So each OS would boot off that SSD with all data files would come off my new Seagate Momentum XT 750GB drive occupying the space where the previous optical super drive was located.

Please advise on how best to do this. I'm rather new on doing stuff like this. I know enough to be dangerous! This is why I'm coming to you for your sound suggestions. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can I do this by installing each OS are their own partition (2 partitions) on my new Crucial 64GB SSD?

My first thought is a 64gig SSD is a pretty small drive for both the Mac OS...and a Windows partition.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your posts have been combined and merged together here in this forum for clarity and ease of response.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It ain't gonna happen. Running a slim Lion on SSD requires a minimum of 29.7GB, and that does not include any music or photos. Windows 7 Ultimate uses an additional 27GB so you can see neither will run successfully on a 64GB drive - no room at all for the 15-20% required free space to permit the drive to run at its premium.

And remember an external will not install Windows at all - part of Microsoft's piracy control measures.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.