• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Infrared images show new iPad screen running warm

Reaction score
Infrared images show new iPad screen running warm

Remember when we said there were reports that the new iPad was running hot? Thanks to the folks at Tweakers.net, we now have some quantitative measurements to support these observations.

The Dutch website ran a GLBenchmark test on the new iPad and the iPad 2 and compared the infrared profiles of each device. According to their measurements, the hottest part of the new iPad reached 33.6 degrees Celsius (92.5 degrees Fahrenheit), while the iPad 2 ran at a cooler 23.8 degrees Celsius (74.8 degrees Fahrenheit). You can see the differences in the image above where the new iPad is on the left and the iPad 2 on the right.

The team at Tweakers attributed this difference to the quad-core GPU of the new iPad. When its being stressed by a benchmark test, the GPU will generate extra heat that'll raise the temperature of the device. Though high, the levels measured by Tweakers were still within the operating limits of the device which are 32 degrees to 95 degrees Fahrenheit (0 degrees to 35 degrees Celsius).

Even if more reports corroborate these results, this excess heat issue won't be a problem for most people. If you game a lot and live in a warm climate, you might have to watch your usage, but most people don't stress their devices with heavy gaming. Under normal usage, the iPad might get slightly warm, but it shouldn't climb to the point where the device regularly shuts down.

[Via Engadget and MacRumors]

Infrared images show new iPad screen running warm originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I have felt my iPad 3 run warm under charging, but not in use yet.

The only retina-supporting game I have is Eternal Blade 2, so maybe the capabilities aren't being stretched?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
This whole "debate/story" is overblown idiocy. It's a electronic device. It's going to get warm. It has a more powerful processor plus a LTE chip. Of course it's going to be slightly warmer than the iPad 2.

DUH. Now shut up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
By Consumer Reports bringing this issue up of it heating up, are they basically saying that they don't notice this phenomena on other devices? Because, if that is what they are implying, I know from first hand that it's FALSE! This thing is more powerful than some computers that you can STILL buy!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
By Consumer Reports bringing this issue up of it heating up, are they basically saying that they don't notice this phenomena on other devices? Because, if that is what they are implying, I know from first hand that it's FALSE! This thing is more powerful than some computers that you can STILL buy!!
Notebooks sit on desks. Tablets are almost always held in one hand or on a lap. Heat should be a larger concern for tablets. That said, I can't pass judgment on the new iPad's heating situation until I actually use one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
92.5°F is not very warm/hot. Average human body temperature is 98.6°F.

So according to the infrared results above...the "New iPad" doesn't even exceed the average human body temp.

Of course 92.5°F is warmer than 74.8°F (the temp. of the iPad 2)...so this is what owners are noticing (17.7°F difference)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Should be a plus for our Canadian users - makes a nice hand warmer during those cold Winters up north. ;P

Reaction score
I have an old Pentium 4 dell laptop running XP and 1 gig of Ram. It gets warm.
I have a newer i3 core HP laptop with 4 gigs of ddr3 Ram running windows 8, it gets a lot warmer..
I think they are really looking for issues if they are complaining about a device that is faster, has more memory, a 4g LTE chip, a higher resolution screen and is only 5-10 degrees warmer….

Reaction score
Should be a plus for our Canadian users - makes a nice hand warmer during those cold Winters up north. ;P

I think you're right! Ever since the new iPad came out, it's been warm and sunny. People are already wearing shorts and t-shirts

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I have not noticed my 3rd gen iPad becoming 'hot'. I have also not used it for any graphics-intensive games/apps.

Reaction score
I have felt demos at stores, they are warm just playing the ad video, not connected to the internet and no sound. My problem is the charging/battery issues people are having, unfortunately this heat thing was brought up first.

My worry really isn't how comfortable it is to me, but does all this extra heat effect reliability? I'm guessing it doesn't really matter to Apple because they know people are just going to buy whatever else comes out, but there are some who are just going to stick with what they buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I have felt demos at stores, they are warm just playing the ad video, not connected to the internet and no sound. My problem is the charging/battery issues people are having, unfortunately this heat thing was brought up first.

My worry really isn't how comfortable it is to me, but does all this extra heat effect reliability? I'm guessing it doesn't really matter to Apple because they know people are just going to buy whatever else comes out, but there are some who are just going to stick with what they buy.

If the internal sensors determine the device is getting too hot it will shut down.

Reaction score
Hopefully this can be resolved with updates. At least with a laptop you can put it down on a desk or something but with an ipad most of the time you are actually holding it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Always the newest iPad
It dosent really get hot unless you are at 100% brightness.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.