Fresh HD needs OSX, Please help!

Reaction score
Took my HD out of my personal MBP and did a data doubler on my work MBP.
Bought a replacement HD for my personal MBP, but have misplaced my OSX install disks.
Someone burned a new disk for me, but I cannot get it to install on the machine?

I have tried:
Starting up with disk in optical drive while holding down "Option" and choosing the Install disk. As well as starting up while holding down "C".
Both spin the disk for a while, but the screen has the Apple logo and does not do anything else?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The disk someone burned for you obviously was for their machine not yours. OS X installation disks are model specific unless you use a retail version. Since you lost your disks, buy another set. Using someone else's is also in violation of the Apple EULA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you didn't give us any specs on which MBP you have.......?

The reason that info is needed is because the late model MBPs and iMacs are limited as to which version of OS X can be installed on them. Your friend may have burned a retail version (which is also in violation of the Apple EULA) of OS X that will not work on your machine.

You need to replace your lost disks. Give Apple customer support a call and have them send you out a replacement set. Have your model number on hand when you call.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.